Best type of refrigerator for kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstrohs

Reaction score
I am currently in the market for a used refrigerator to turn into a kegerator. I have been looking on Craigslist and there are thousands of fridges to choose from. I want the kegerator to hold three corny kegs with the door mounted handles. What should I look for in the fridge that I buy?

I am currently in the market for a used refrigerator to turn into a kegerator. I have been looking on Craigslist and there are thousands of fridges to choose from. I want the kegerator to hold three corny kegs with the door mounted handles. What should I look for in the fridge that I buy?

Are you looking to make something like this?

I suggest the cheapest full size fridge you can get. Take a template of the size of the bottom, and a tape measure to measure height (or an actual cornie if you have one) to see how many it'll fit.

I got one for $20 and it'll fit 4 and a 20# CO2 tank with room for bottles/cans. Took a little elbow grease to get it clean, but nothing too bad.

Good luck!

Go with a bottom freezer fridge. You get tap handles at a good height and no worry about someone opening the freezer door and tripping your tap handles like in a top freezer fridge.

I'd recommend a chest freezer.

What is the best temp controller for a chest freezer. I have a Love controller for my fermentation chamber, but those are awfully expensive. Also, most of the kegerators that I see made from chest freezers have a wooden extension build on to them. What is that for?

Are you looking to make something like this?

Yes, but I would really like to find a freezerless refrigerator. I only saw one on Craigslist and it was out of my price range. Is there ever an issue with coolant lines in the doors of refrigerators?

Yes, but I would really like to find a freezerless refrigerator. I only saw one on Craigslist and it was out of my price range. Is there ever an issue with coolant lines in the doors of refrigerators?

There aren't any coolant lines in the doors. The only lines in fridge doors will be for things like water dispensers.

What is the best temp controller for a chest freezer. I have a Love controller for my fermentation chamber, but those are awfully expensive. Also, most of the kegerators that I see made from chest freezers have a wooden extension build on to them. What is that for?

a basic johnson controller, either analog or digital is not that expensive.
the wooden extension is known as a collar - used to add height to the overall design, put the taps through wood instead of metal, have the taps at appropriate serving height and to add tallness to interior to make room for tall kegs, sometimes room enough to have them on the compressor hump inside as well.

Back