Something simple, but different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the ingredients I ordered on Monday for my Double IPA won't be here until next week, but I really want to brew this weekend. Does anyone have any ideas for a simple, but different brew I can do this weekend? So far I've done a porter, an amber, an IPA, a stout and a hefeweizen. Thanks.

-AJ

At the moment, about .5 lb each of chocolate malt and roasted barley, and 5 oz each of Fuggles, Golding and Willamette. I also have 5 oz each of Amarillo and Cascade, but I am saving those for the Double IPA. I am planning on going to LHBS tomorrow to get the Columbus hops that were suggested for FWH the Double IPA, so I figured I could pick up whatever I needed for this weekend while I was there. After I made the OP, I started just playing around in BeerSmith and came up with this. It sounds interesting, though I don't know what it would turn out as since the numbers fit the bill for several styles.

5 lbs Extra Light DME (2 lbs for 60 minutes, 3 lbs for 15 minutes)
1 lbs 2-row
.5 lb Cara-pils
.5 lb Munich
1 oz Willamette for 60 minutes
1 oz Fuggles for 15 minutes
Wyeast British Ale yeast

I am still open to suggestions, though, since I don't think I am ready to shoot completely from the hip. So far I have been modifying existing recipes or basing my recipes off the ingredients listed in the BJCP style guidelines. Thanks again.

-AJ

Looks like Special Bitter to me, given the hops varieties and yeast. It could also be a Blonde Ale.

Hell, I like the look of that. It looks like a nice, easy-drinking pale beer. The CaraPils will enhance foam retention and provide a bit of body, and the Munich will provide a hint of warm, bready malt. Just complex enough to let you know you're drinking Real Beer, but not so complex that it'll distract you.

If I could recommend one change, I'd split the Fuggles in half and add the other half-ounce at flameout. More aroma from one of my favorite varieties. ;)

Bob

Awesome, thanks. I've never brewed (or even drank) either of those styles, so this should be interesting. I'm big on hop aroma, too, so I will take your advice and add half the Fuggles at flameout. :mug:

Back