Yard of ale/beer glasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjilek

Reaction score
Hey,
I was looking through different drinking glasses, and came accross these and thought that one (or two:D) would make a great addition to my bar. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a place to order one of these.

14671.jpg

Most of the ones I can find online are only shipped in the U.K.; or $100+. It seems that most stores only carry half yard in the U.S., weak sauce. Haha if anyone has any pertinent stories/experiences with these, they'd also be welcome. Cheers,:mug:
Paul

rinse it out after use and spray out with hot water and soap. if it gets really dirty, fill with sodium percarbonate and hot water and it'll clean that sucker.

done.

I've seen the 1/2 yards at Kitchen & Co. But their stock seems to rotate rather quickly and they never seem to have alot of the same glassware twice.

Having used one of these they are a nice thing to look at but a pain to use. You have to spin the yard as you drink otherwise you're likely to get a tidal wave of beer.

Luckily the movers broke mine and I no longer have to worry about it. :)

Drinking from a yard can be an extremely messy experience. Even a half-yard is tricky. The bulb at the bottom makes regulating the flow very difficult towards the end. If you get one, plan on lots of practice ... outside.

Half yards are more practical still take some getting used (turning while drinking) to but make a really nice presentation for your homebrew!

Yards are a real challenge to drink from, need to be placed on the floor to be able to pick them up and break easily, even more so than 1/2 yards.

I've found 1/2 yards w/stands for as cheap as $6 at close out stores like ross, tjmaxx, and big lots. (Still kicking myself for not picking up a few when I saw them for $6. broke mine in my last move :( )

I've had quite a lot of experience with these bad boys in sussex pubs if they have a yard of ale glass on display if you can drink it in one then they pay for the bugger. trick is to keep the glass turning because if you don't when you get to that bubble at the end you get a sudden surge and most likely alot of beer over your face. if you do get hold of one my record is 42seconds.

Thanks for all the replies! I don't know how practical the yard of ale would be, but at the very least it would make for a sweet display. I might have to pick up a couple half yards, for practice/ drinking games. I thought about checking ebay, but was sorta leery, with the shipping of it. Thanks again.

Back