Just Picked Fresh Cascade - Recipe Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
Ok, I have half to full pound of wet Cascade right off the bine, with more to come.
I want to brew on Monday so they don't go to waste, so ideas for a good brew. Looking to have a balanced beer, not too over the top.

What is a good base malt to start with, should I go smash or not?

Obviously I will be using it for late addition, maybe dry hop, or do I go 60 to flame out with just the fresh hops and see what happens.

I would use dried hops for the bittering, maybe columbus or warrior and then use the wet hops in the last 5 min/0 min hop bomb. Remember, you will need to use a lot more wet hops than you would dry so I would do a simple IPA something along these lines:

12# 2-Row
1# Vienna
.5# Crystal 60L

1.5oz Columbus (14%) 60 min
10oz Cascade Wet Hops 0 min

This would put you at around 1.068 with 66 IBU which is a nice balance.

JFYI - If you are not brewing until Monday, the hops you've already picked will need to be dried. Wet hops need to be used within 48 hours of being picked.

But I second the notion of using the fresh hops at the end of the boil, not for bittering. Go with high AA pellets or dried cones. Columbus is a good option.

I have been air drying the hops as I pick them, meaning I am spreading them on a screen on sawhorses. I could find no other way to dry them. I have been moving them around so they are not touching.

Back