Brian's Coffin Keezer Complete (with video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willisbr

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Thanks for having me. I have been perusing the sight for a while now and have finally completed my keezer project. I wanted to share it here. I'll stick around to read and learn from others. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. I would like to hear from you. Have a great day!

Brian W

545666_10150768691882142_505467141_9834159_1393765357_n.jpg

576318_10150768538312142_505467141_9834149_1509719123_n.jpg

525594_10150768584567142_505467141_9834153_1503191709_n.jpg

564933_10150768615402142_505467141_9834155_1861266545_n.jpg

522346_10150768645967142_505467141_9834158_2080136080_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why so cold? Wouldn't you get better flavor if you warmed it up just a smidge...

Should I consider warmer? I have Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and a local red on tap. Guages read about 8-10 PSI to push it. The pour and resulting head seems pretty rightous. I haven't messed with it. Suggestions?

Should I consider warmer? I have Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and a local red on tap. Guages read about 8-10 PSI to push it. The pour and resulting head seems pretty rightous. I haven't messed with it. Suggestions?

I just personally don't like "ice-cold beer" Lots of others don't also. Do some looking into what temps are suggested for the type of beer you are serving. Generally, from what I understand, the darker the warmer.

Could you tell me source and how much fans cost? I have not seen these in Canada. Thanks

These are three inch A/C fans from Radio Shack. They sure do move some air. I also bought a 4" to put inside the chest but elected not to for now because the two tips fans generate enough movement.

Thanks for all the great comments!

I just personally don't like "ice-cold beer" Lots of others don't also. Do some looking into what temps are suggested for the type of beer you are serving. Generally, from what I understand, the darker the warmer.

I don't like ice cold either. It's warm enough to down a pint and not get brain freeze. :)

Brian,

Great job on the build & thanks for sharing the video! We are deep into the planning process and have narrowed down several factors to our keezer (which will have many similarities to yours).

THROWING OUT OUR PLANS & QUESTIONS...

Our details:
Space for keezer: 50" space next to fireplace (that we've never used!)
Shopping a 7 ft freezer for a 3 Faucet build (room for 3 tapped cornys & 1 chilling/carbing, likely placing CO2 on hump)
Going with Coffin, no collar
OUR PLANNED SPACE FOR KEEZER BELOW (cardboard on floor is same dimensions as 7 ft freezer)
imag0424ok.jpg

Our major Planning decision yet to make: Do we build a skirt using thin hardwood plywood OR paint the freezer black with Only a Top & Coffin finished out + bottom trim hiding casters?
Big factor is that if we do the skirt with decent "cooling space", it may be too wide for our planned location. A/C Vent is on floor there as well.

EXAMPLE OF NO WOOD SKIRT W/ BLACK PAINT ONLY (beeboy's build)
noskirtcoffin.jpg

YOUR BUILD (for other members viewing)
briancoffinnicelayout2.jpg

QUESTIONS:
1) How did you do your wood framed skirt as far as spacing distance from freezer wall? Any fan/venting used for cooling inside this space?

We love your tile choices & coffin box:
2) What are the dimensions of your top that is attached to the freezer lid?
3) What are the dimensions of your Coffin box?
4) How is your coffin lit?
5) What type of wood did you use & what color is the stain?
6) Is the tile grouted? (If not, did you grout & seal)

Sorry for so many questions, but after hours of narrowing down what will work for us, we are getting anxious to get the build process in gear!

Any other members who have thoughts on our skirt/no skirt dilemma (detailed above in blue), any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your nice comments. I'll be happy to answer your questions in a video so I can point to a few things. Give me a day or two and I'll post something on YouTube and here. Yes we grouted the day after I took this photo.

Amazing!! Simply amazing! I want to do this, but my carpentry skills are not all that great. How would you rate the difficulty of this?? I thought I did a good job by converting my chest freezer to a tower keezer no box or collar. Just a tower drilled straight into the lid. I love your design and the work you put into this! Any suggestions for a noob on this type of stuff???

this is beautiful. Thank you for this post! this is the first keezer post i've seen detailing how the top is attached to the lid. Thanks!

Amazing detail. My head is spinning with ideas, or maybe too many beers!

I really like this build. I think I will be borrowing plenty of ideas and dimensions for my own. Thanks for the great videos and all the help!!

Awesome setup!!

Where did you get your 3 pressure regulator setup from. I have seen the breakout boxes for them but not where they each have a guage and you can set each one.

Back