Leaving Yeast Starter out at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjashing

Reaction score
I've created a yeast starter (Thursday night) and plan to use it Saturday afternoon.

Do I leave the yeast starter out at room temperature until brew day? Or should I keep it at room temperature until Friday night and put it in fridge overnight?

Thanks

Depends on the strain and the size of the starter. If this is a "slow" strain and large volume starter then you might be ok to let it rip until you pitch it into your brew. However, if this is a small volume starter it will probably be done by tomorrow afternoon and it won't do it any favors to sit around at room temp until the end of your brew.

Long story short... what is the strain? what is the size of the starter? what is it going into?

Lots of variables, but if I have time I try to cold crash and decant. If not no biggie leave it at room temp and pitch the whole thing.

1. WYeast 1084 (Irish Ale)
2. about 1.75L (no stir plate)
3. Going into 5 gal (dry stout recipe)

From what I'm hearing its ok to leave out at room temperature, but if activity has settled by tomorrow night, it's ok to put in fridge.

This brings me to another question - I've seen other people dump there whole slurry into their carboy while others decant the top slurry off. Are there advantages of doing either or?

I usually decant top liquid if size is greater that 10% of batch size, that is almost every time. Reason is to avoid off flavors.

Back