Water profile ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mknox4354

Reaction score
Ok so sorry if this is a dumb question or it has already been answered. I'm going to send a water sample off to ward and was wondering if it would be better to send my straight tap water or my water that is ran through my filter. I currently use the water from the filter for brewing. Like I said sorry if this is a dumb question just want to know what is commonly done. Thanks

I was thinking of sending both.. filtered and unfiltered for 2 seperate tests to see how they compare. I'm tinking if you just do the one test it should be unfiltered..

Stauffbier said:
I was thinking of sending both.. filtered and unfiltered for 2 seperate tests to see how they compare. I'm tinking if you just do the one test it should be unfiltered..

Yea I was thinking that too but the only problem is my tap water unfiltered taste bad so my thinking is if it taste bad as water it's not going to help the taste of my beer.

send the filtered (what you will brew with) otherwise you will never be sure what the filter may have removed.

Wouldn't you want to send in the filtered if that's the water you're going to brew with?

I plan on always using a filter so I sent a filtered sample in.

send the filtered (what you will brew with) otherwise you will never be sure what the filter may have removed.

This is also true. I guess the reason I want to send filtered and unfiltered is to see if it changes the mineral content. If it did and depending on how, you could use the unfiltered water for different styles possibly. To deal with the chlorine/chloramines in the unfiltered water you could use campden tabs, since it's not being filtered..

carrolte said:

Ok that was my feeling I just wanted some other opinions for reassurance. Thanks

Back