Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Additional progress today. Trimmed out crown with 1/4" birch hardwood. Added some trim work and then a coat of poly on all inside surfaces. Decided I would line the inside with Dow super Tuff-r ridged insulation board with the foil side facing inward. Foil tape will be used to seal all joints. Tomorrow will be a light sanding and then 2nd coat of poly on inside. Prolly a bit overkill, but that is the way I roll.

image-1995270702.jpg

image-1127467083.jpg

image-2438684885.jpg

Final coat of poly applied. Pic of the Super insulation board. Knife blade on scroll saw is the best way to cut this material. Lose fit till tomorrow when ploy is fully cured.

image-2287689848.jpg

image-2112072075.jpg

image-3746399850.jpg

Hey gang,
I'm going to be starting a build for a poolside keg holder, that also serves beer. I've heard them called, kegerators? My question - has anyone ever heard of one?

I kid.

Does anybody have an outdoor one - and are there special issues that come up? I've thought so far about insulation problems (it's 100+ every damn day here in OKC) and insects. I like to pre-screw up, so I can adjust, and then re-screw up.

Many thanks to all you sages

All setup and ready to go!

just added another computer fan to the middle section of my kegerator to try and boost some cold air up into the massive coffin part... having an extremely difficult time getting the faucets cold... when it was empty the faucets were ice cold within minutes... with 6 corny kegs in there the cold air just doesnt get above the top of the freezer part.. even with a fan directly overhead pulling air up

Hey gang,
I'm going to be starting a build for a poolside keg holder, that also serves beer. I've heard them called, kegerators? My question - has anyone ever heard of one?

I kid.

Does anybody have an outdoor one - and are there special issues that come up? I've thought so far about insulation problems (it's 100+ every damn day here in OKC) and insects. I like to pre-screw up, so I can adjust, and then re-screw up.

Many thanks to all you sages

There are kegerator's designed to be used outdoors, but they are generally VERY expensive and of the commercial variety. Another option would be to use a cheap freezer and make it in such a way that you can swap out the freezers as the (inevitable) short life-span dictates. I'd recommend starting a thread for this, as there's lots of interesting things that could be discussed. FYI, these are some of the commercial one's designed for outdoors.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/outdoor/index.shtml

There are kegerator's designed to be used outdoors, but they are generally VERY expensive and of the commercial variety. Another option would be to use a cheap freezer and make it in such a way that you can swap out the freezers as the (inevitable) short life-span dictates. I'd recommend starting a thread for this, as there's lots of interesting things that could be discussed. FYI, these are some of the commercial one's designed for outdoors.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/outdoor/index.shtml

Could one take a cheap mini fridge off of craigslist and just keep swapping them out as they die? I've seen them for $50

Alright. I've drooled long enough over this thread. I have decided to throw up my "beginning" brew/keg/bar area. Pics show my future ferment chiller, future kegerator, current 1/2 barrel,single tap kegerator and all my HB items. One with all the bottles etc etc. 2 of the brew setups I picked up for free from a customer getting out of brewing. Also, he gave me a crap-load of bottles. The 2 free brew kits I completed and gave to buddies that were thinking about brewing and just hadn't been able to make the jump. The wife doesn't like the "mess" right now, but has authorized a full bar setup with pool table, signage and whatever else:). It will take a bit of time/money/skillz, but I will update whenever I can.

Future ferment chiller.jpg

Future kegerator..jpg

most everything.jpg

All.jpg

Finished this build a few weeks ago. Currently it's 5 taps, but the keezer will hold 6 kegs, so I'll be adding to it eventually.

keezer.jpg

Edit: not shown -- drywall mud pans from home depot for use as drip tray... Held on by HDD magnets.

hey folks i just ordered a 7 cu ft chest freezer and while i'm waiting for it to be delivered I started going through this thread. I'm new to kegging so couple questions about the conversions. I see most people added wood to the top of the freezer to give more headspace room, is this necessary? can i not just drill 4 tap holes through the side of the fridge? And if i do put the wood on top, i see how the door is attached, but how are you all attaching the wood to the rest of the freezer??

hey folks i just ordered a 7 cu ft chest freezer and while i'm waiting for it to be delivered I started going through this thread. I'm new to kegging so couple questions about the conversions. I see most people added wood to the top of the freezer to give more headspace room, is this necessary? can i not just drill 4 tap holes through the side of the fridge? And if i do put the wood on top, i see how the door is attached, but how are you all attaching the wood to the rest of the freezer??

This is the show and tell thread so you might want to start another thread to get answers on how to or why to. However most people add wood to the top to make enough room for the kegs. You need to factor in hoses and other accessories as well.

This is the show and tell thread so you might want to start another thread to get answers on how to or why to. However most people add wood to the top to make enough room for the kegs. You need to factor in hoses and other accessories as well.

thanks..i'll start a new thread to ask my questions

I am pretty sure i have posted before on this thread with my setup. But it has moved across country since then and been updated just recently. I have made a new test tube rack to represent all the beverages present. Also found a 24" long SS drip tray to catch all the dripping.

Since this picture I have filled the #3 spot. Current line up is

1. Rasp Wheat
  2. ApfelWein
  3. Graff
  4. KiltedCat Kilt Lifter
  5. CocoPuff Stout
  6. Stolen Property Porter
  7. Smoked Porter
  8. Carbonated Carlsbad Spring Water

Currently I am out of beer though=No IPA or IIPA on tap.

The other photos are the Huge mini fridge for bottles and mixers to the left of the Keezer. The liquor table to the right. The entire room which is an enclosed porch that it resides in, in Southern California which is a major upgrade from the basement in Utah where the keezer and I used to reside.:rockin:

untitled-8989.jpg

untitled-8992.jpg

untitled-8994.jpg

untitled-8995.jpg

dahray02 said:

The main reason not to drill through your freezer wall is to avoid hitting the coils and ruining your unit. My chest freezer is plenty tall enough for my kegs, otherwise.

I just used pine 2x6. I measured the circumference of the top and made the box the exact same diameter from edge to edge. It is fairly heavy, once assembled. I placed silicone around the edge and sat the pine on the silicone. Then you just have to re-attach the freezer top to the pine. It is more than secure. There are a couple of tutorials, if you do a search. I'll try and post pics of mine, but is is very basic. Works like a champ, though!

richkev said:
The main reason not to drill through your freezer wall is to avoid hitting the coils and ruining your unit. My chest freezer is plenty tall enough for my kegs, otherwise.

I just used pine 2x6. I measured the circumference of the top and made the box the exact same diameter from edge to edge. It is fairly heavy, once assembled. I placed silicone around the edge and sat the pine on the silicone. Then you just have to re-attach the freezer top to the pine. It is more than secure. There are a couple of tutorials, if you do a search. I'll try and post pics of mine, but is is very basic. Works like a champ, though!

A large enough collar will allow for placing kegs on the hump, and if you glue it to the lid, it gets the taps out of the way when moving heavy kegs around.

I hope this worked.

Those are the most *edit* recent batches I've made. I'm deployed right now in Afghanistan so no brewing or kegging until Nov.

From top to bottom it is Bust a CAP Pilsner, Hefe Bataan Weizen, and Pumpkin Porter Batch #Dos.

Those are Perlick Creamer faucets. The fridge has the chalkboard paint finish on it. It was my wife's idea and I thought it was great. Kind of like the great beer bars across the nation.

The CAP keg has kicked but this is the most recent photo of my set up so this is all you get :)

image-3361970889.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The HandleBAR, a cross pollination of my love for things with two wheels (powered and human powered) and my love of beer:

65001f5d.jpg

f9b645c8.jpg

8cb69f4c.jpg

26a9b1a8.jpg

It's hard to see, but there's a high wheeler engraved in the plexiglas door of my glassware cabinet (and the double doors of the liquor storage, as well):

ad7c0d9b.jpg

At the time the frontal shots were taken, I hadn't yet settled on what to do with the doors on the corners. Eventually, I made stencils and sandblasted mirrors for both corners:

e5da2484.jpg

It's also hard to see in the pictures, but my door handles are faux "quick release" levers:

3e610369.jpg

I'm most proud of my tap handles (and, it's hard to see, but the top of the tower is a copy of a Chris King stem cap):

c7d2774d.jpg

I keep thinking I should invite my company president over for a beer, since he's got so much invested in my bar....... :-D

nice bar TwoWheeler. but we are missing pics of the actual kegerator. Ok I know I just want more pics 'cause it's awesome:D

we are missing pics of the actual kegerator.

I looks like this, except with two taps:

tn750_large_haierblack_single_faucet_main113010102146.jpg

(See why I hid it behind door #2 - the one with the MSDS label.....:D?)

It all started because I got sick of washing bottles and decided to keg...so I needed a kegerator....then, because I had the kegerator, I thought I ought to build a bar around it....and because I was building a bar, I thought it should be themed....

TwoWheeler said:
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The HandleBAR, a cross pollination of my love for things with two wheels (powered and human powered) and my love of beer.

Awesome build TwoWheeler!

I am pretty sure i have posted before on this thread with my setup. But it has moved across country since then and been updated just recently. I have made a new test tube rack to represent all the beverages present. Also found a 24" long SS drip tray to catch all the dripping.

Since this picture I have filled the #3 spot. Current line up is

1. Rasp Wheat
  2. ApfelWein
  3. Graff
  4. KiltedCat Kilt Lifter
  5. CocoPuff Stout
  6. Stolen Property Porter
  7. Smoked Porter
  8. Carbonated Carlsbad Spring Water

Currently I am out of beer though=No IPA or IIPA on tap.

The other photos are the Huge mini fridge for bottles and mixers to the left of the Keezer. The liquor table to the right. The entire room which is an enclosed porch that it resides in, in Southern California which is a major upgrade from the basement in Utah where the keezer and I used to reside.:rockin:

Nice your friends most love you.I would come by at least 8 days a week

Where did you get the QR handles?

I made them.

The tap handles, the plexi engraving, the sandblast stencil, the stem cap, the door handles and the sign (not shown) were all "donated" by my employer ;)

That's what happens when you have $50k worth of CNC sitting next to you, and a clueless boss....:rolleyes:

I'm most proud of the tap handles, but those stupid "beads" around the edges of the Campagnolo handle were a huge PITA - one of them was "bad" and kept crashing the software. Took me forever to figure out which one and exterminate it.

Even more impressive! Got to love the, I made it myself-because I could. Ive got a couple million in cnc's at work but I can't do any government jobs. I did at a previous job but I wasn't homebrewing then. Made quite a few parts for the car though.

Nice your friends most love you.I would come by at least 8 days a week

I actually don't know any real beer drinkers here. I brought some bottles on a sailboat, tried to give some away. One guy preferred his Coors Lt and said, "I am not a connoisseur, I drink for the affect." I guess that is why I still have 7 taps running even though I have not brewed except for the Graff in over a year.

I need to find a beer loving electrician so I can get someone to help me drink my old kegs and wire the garage to brew some fresh ones.

I actually don't know any real beer drinkers here. I brought some bottles on a sailboat, tried to give some away. One guy preferred his Coors Lt and said, "I am not a connoisseur, I drink for the affect." I guess that is why I still have 7 taps running even though I have not brewed except for the Graff in over a year.

I need to find a beer loving electrician so I can get someone to help me drink my old kegs and wire the garage to brew some fresh ones.

So what time should I drop by? :mug:

More progress today. Collar is complete sans holes for taps. Decided to wait till I have thermostat properly adjusted.

I used ridged foam to wrap the interior wood and then aluminum duct tape to seal the corners and top.

Pulled thermostat from case and in the process of adjusting to a proper brew temp.

BTW - the collar stays in place by its own weight.

image-1347755994.jpg

image-3804037559.jpg

Hi guys,

I am only new to home brewing (been brewing spirits only up until until 8 weeks ago) but am very enthusiastic!

Ok.. So I might have got a little carried away...

Criteria 1: Must be on wheels to move around easy.
Criteria 2: Must look like it was meant to be there.
Criteria 3: Must not look like a chest freezer at all!
Criteria 4: Must not damage the chest freezer in any way! (This was my wifes demand).
Criteria 5: Must be able to drain using the drainage plug.

So... Here is my new setup. I finished it last night.

2009_01_02_1918.jpg

2009_01_02_1925.jpg

2009_01_02_1921.jpg

2009_01_02_1929.jpg

Nice you answered a question I have been tring to figure out...

I am building one and using an old table top... it is heavy and I was worried about the hinges on the Chest Freezer supporting it....

I like the frame around the freezer.

DPB

Back