Latest Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Well, here are my latest labels, let me know what you think:

British Bulldog.jpg

Wolfhound Stout.jpg

Too much debate here, but I will add a quick note:

You are referring to the differences between the Catholic south and the Anglican (Protestant) British and Northern Ireland.:D

Of course, the Catholic Irish detest the way the Brits have treated them in the past. The Irish were the first slaves imported into the New World by the Brits, so it goes deeper than religion.

Well....my family is part Irish and part English, and I basically love all English, Scottish, and Irish ales so that is pretty much what I make. These two labels are only on here together cuz that's what I've made recently.

As for the tube map having nothing to do with a dog that is true, but I haven't yet developed the right images for the various dog breeds I'm using as names. I have just started brewing my own recipe's and thought dog names would go with the name of my brewery, but good label images are hard to come by; all in good time I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Tube map, but not for something named after a dog. It just doesn't correlate.

I see where finding just the right dog is so important.

I'd concentrate on a Tube sounding name at the moment like Victoria Station Stout or Picadilly Circus Pale Ale then the map would have something meaningful behind it.

You can use those names. They just came off the top of my head.:D

I see what you're saying, but to me the tube map has more to do with the style being a traditional english ale rather than the name of the beer. What I really want is the tube map as the background and then a Bulldog in the middle of the lettering rather than the ESB.

TheJadedDog said:
I see what you're saying, but to me the tube map has more to do with the style being a traditional english ale rather than the name of the beer. What I really want is the tube map as the background and then a Bulldog in the middle of the lettering rather than the ESB.
I don;t see that connection either...now something "connection" related...Connection Stout...Underground Light Ale...Underground Dark Ale...Underground Porter...Last Stop Olde Ale...

Go for it...it's your label...;)

I have an idea for you...

You can swap maps out and add a map of Stamford England instead, and it will go with the Bulldog theme more. Back in the 1200's, it was customary to fight dogs against bulls. And Lord Stamford has was walking his castle grounds one day, and witnessed two bulls fighting in a field over a female. He watched as two of the local butcher's dogs came running into the field, and both dogs attacked the bulls ferociously, and chased them through the streets of Stamford, and finally the dogs killed the bulls. Lord Stamford was amazed, and actually donated land to facilitate "Bull-Baiting". It became a huge betting sport for the area.

Of course back then, bulldogs were much different than the ones of today, but still, it would fit for you. Hey, just an idea. :cross:

Nice labels! Quick question, which program are you using to make them? I've got a few brews under my belt now and would like to start dabbling in my own creations and labels. Thanks!

Yeah, I just figured I would try to get a correlation going for him.

I love so many of the labels and ideas everyone here has come up with. And to me, the european themes are very intriguing.

Tony said:
Yeah, I just figured I would try to get a correlation going for him.

I love so many of the labels and ideas everyone here has come up with. And to me, the european themes are very intriguing.
I can see that, but there are so many misconceptions about Europe by people have who have never been there.

I lived in Germany for 9 years and have been to England 3 times...:D

Ive never been to Europe, as I never could get a passport because of adoption identity issues, and finally have straightened everything out, so hopefully someday. Im limited to history and reference materials, but like you said, unless you've been there...

iggy_fenton said:
Nice labels! Quick question, which program are you using to make them? I've got a few brews under my belt now and would like to start dabbling in my own creations and labels. Thanks!

I use a free program called Serif Draw which is okay but not ideal.

I wish I could spring for photoshop but I'm not willing to spend the money if the only thing I'll use it for is beer labels.

Sorry to take this off track (I do like the labels), but I have to throw in my knowledge of the Irish contempt for the English. It is true that the Irish (my heritage) were forced into slavery and were consistently mistreated through direct rule and foreign discrimination, but the biggest point of dissention towards the English, as told by my grandfather, dates to the Irish Potato Famine back in the 1860's (or so). Potatoes were the main source of food for the common Irish family due to agricultural limitations. When the famine (fungus) hit, it wiped out the entire crop. Many families starved, lost jobs, homes, families split up... horrible atrocities.

This became the breeding ground for English hatred since the Irish reached out to the English Lords and landowners for assistance, and they turned a blind eye to the people. To this day, there are still strong feelings in some sects, but the N. Ireland v. Republic got more press due to the more current issues.

So if it ever comes up on Jeopardy, you can look smart in front of others.

Sláinte

Back