Older whole hops - Affect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
My last 2-3 batches have had a bit more of a bitter / bite to them to the negative. I bought 1# ea of Nugget and Cascade from hopsdirect. Even though I vaccum sealed them I'm wondering if it may be these hops. I bought them 8 mo ago. They are starting to yellow a bit on me. What is "shelf life" on whole hops? Figure they're actually a year old now since fall is harvest season.

Anyone? Bueller?

If you're keeping them in the freezer, they should be fine. Cascade has poor storage characteristics, and fuggles are about medium. Though again, if they're frozen they should be fine.
Alpa acid levels are usually replaced by other bittering compounds so the actual bittering affect of the hop changes little, the character of the bitterness does however, it would seem.

I wouldn't use yellow hops. The tell tale sign of going bad hops is a cheesy smell.

Not good in beer, I'd imagine.

Cook with them. Try my hops smoked chicken recipe.

It does seem to be more towards the Cascade styles I made. A harder bite as mentioned with just a bit of a sour flavor. I think I got my $ worth out of them. My next batches are all new recipes for me so I think I'll start with LHBS hops for a while.

Anyone know if we order from hopsdirect now if its their 06 crop yet?

Dude said:
I wouldn't use yellow hops. The tell tale sign of going bad hops is a cheesy smell.

Not good in beer, I'd imagine.

Cook with them. Try my hops smoked chicken recipe.

post the recipe for the chicken dude?

Back