Opinions Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
I would like to have some opinions on a recipe. I am thinking of ordering the ingredients for a mild beer.

So what do you think of the recipe "Through a Mild Darkly" on page 146 of the Brewing classic styles book?

If anyone has brewed this recipe, what did you think of it, How was the mouth feel and did it have a watered down taste or week body?

What was / is your opinion on this beer?

thanks

Here it is:

Through A Mild Darkly

7 lbs British pale ale
.05 lbs Crystal 60L
6 oz Crystal 120L
.25 lbs Pale Chocolate Malt (200L)
2.0 oz Black Patent (525L)

.85 oz Kent Goldings 5% AA @ 60 min

Mash at 154º F

I do not think the recpie will have anything to do with a watered down taste or week body. I think that comes from the brewer and his or her process. I have made this beer before and it was spot on in my opinion.

Looks ok to me.

Only thing I'd pick up on is mild is not overly bitter so I personal would be dubious of doing all the hops at the 60 minute point. I'd want to think about it first before going ahead. It's not noted for the aroma either.

If just one addition I'd probably go for 30 minutes.

Looks good to me. Thinking of brewing this myself in the near future.

I'm just curious as to why you think that recipe might seem weak or watered down. Is it because of the "Mild" name? That is often the case when people are not very familiar with the style.

Laughing Gnome Invisible,

I guess because the few that I have had seemed a little weak and watery mouth feel.

I have never brewed one myself and just did not know if this was just the style or the way it was brewed.

And if it was the way it was brewed what can I do to make sure this does not happen to mine?

Ah, Ok. Well, if it doesn't turn out as you'd like it, but seems on the right tracks, then at least you are at the right place to ask for tweaks nfor future brews! :)

Follow the instructions in the book and don't worry. All the recipes have won awards, so they are at least in style. If you don't like the style, you won't like the beer no matter what. That style is impossible to find here, so I am planning on brewing the beer this spring just to try it out. It is definitely intriguing.

Orfy also has a Mild recipe that has been very well received, so you can look at that as well if you want to compare.

Eric

Yes I have seen Orfy's Mild and I plan on trying that one also just to compare the two, that way I would see which one I like the best out of the two.

Back