bottling cider at 1.010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
i tried to crash my cider with little success (no fridge and its not quite cold enough yet). at any rate the cider is at 1.010 right now and i like how it tastes. im going to bottle in 2-liters and my question is if i can bottle and then put them all in the fridge so the yeast will go to sleep and avoid the bottle bomb issue. will this work? or leave them at room temp for a day or two then put them in the fridge? thanks

i dont think i could pull off the heat pasturizing because of the 2-liters im using. i figure with bottling and waiting one day there would be some carbonation and it would be the essentially the same cold crashing in the bottles in my fridge as doing it in the fermenter. does it seem like that would work?

If you keep the bottles in the fridge you should be OK. You can wait until the bottles get firm to the touch. There still may be some activity in the fridge though. What kind of yeast did you use?

The point of cold crashing is to get the yeast to drop out and then rack the cider off, so there is no yeast left to cause you problems. If you dont rack the cider off the yeast, you will probably be OK as long as it stays cold.

yep, a keg bucket and some ice will work for cold crashing if you dont have room in the fridge.

i used mutons OG was 1.080 and its been almost a month and its at 1.010 and i like the taste. it goes down a point a week at this point so hopefully the yeast will drop out and it will stay as is. thanks for your reply!

after an overnight chill the bottles all basically have a cake on the bottom so it seems that there will be no more fermentation and a success! i drank two bottles last night with some friends and everyone was feeling good

I have to wonder if it would really ferment out that much more. . . my sketchy top of the head math says your at like 9% ABV. I wonder what the viability of your yeast is at that point?

its tolerance is 11.5% and it was dropping 1 point a little less than once a week. i figured it would drt to 1.000. it continued to go in the bottles and produced a decent amount of carbonation. only bummer is that theres an inch of yeast in the bottles

Back