reusing the yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmeister

Reaction score
So I have a question about reusing the yeast cake maybe some of you can help me with.
After transfering out of the primary I saved some of the yeast cake in a 1000 ml erlynmier flask. I stired it up and let the trub settle and poured off the yeast into another 1000 ml flask. then I added some steril wort and let it grow at room temp for about 3 days. Then I put it directly into the chest freezer at 36 degrees F.
My question is, is this too big of a temp. drop that quickly for yeast. I know that you dont want your fermentation temp. to fluctuate more than 10 degrees or so too quickly or they might go dormant. But as for allready settled yeast, is it ok to just throw my liquid yeast directly into that cold of an environment that quickly? Or is it better to slowly let the yeast acclimate to colder temps?
Thanks for the advice.

Some people will say differently, but I used to do this when I first started harvesting yeast. I never had a problem. You'll want to make sure you warm it up slowly though. I usually wrap a hand towel around my yeast and put it in the fridge for 12 hours. Then take it out and set it on the counter for another 12 hours before you remove the towel.

Back