Turning 10 gallon cooler into mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talenos

Reaction score
So, I decided this week to try and get supplies to make the jump to all-grain. I found a pretty decent deal on a 10 gallon orange igloo cooler, so I just need to find out what else I need to make things go a little easier.

Looking at Austin Home Brew, it looks like i should get one of these. So I can get the wort out easier.

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=11639&wishlistattributes=

Also, I know I need a braid or manifold or a false bottom. This looks like the one for my cooler.

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10654&wishlistattributes=

So, question is, what do I need to go from the false bottom to the ball valve? Also, what tubing do i use to go from the cooler to the brew pot?

Also, what size brew pot should I get. I was looking at a 10, but would going to 15 give me the flexibility to brew a 10 gallon batch?

I'd get another 3/8 barb to put on the other end of the of the weldless cooler kit: that way you can use a 3/8 tube to go from the barb of the false bottom to the ball valve. Any tubing that's food grade and can withstand temps up to 212 will be good.

1 vote for a braid over FB or manifold...just personal preferrence...all will work. I guess I just like the simplicity of the braid and batch sparging.

1 vote for a braid over FB or manifold...just personal preferrence...all will work. I guess I just like the simplicity of the braid and batch sparging.

Yeah, I think I decided that since I'm going to start with batch sparging I might as well use the braid. If i do move on to something else then at least it won't have set me back very far either.

Back