Barleywine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericj551

Reaction score
How does this look for a barleywine? I'm planning to mini-mash and hoping it will be ready by around the end of the year. I will pitch on a yeast cake of 1056.

Grain bill:
2 Maris Otter
1 # Crystal 60
.5 # Carahell
8 # Light DME
1 # Brown sugar
Shooting for around 1.100 OG

Hops:
90 min: 1 oz Chinook, 1 oz Columbus
15 min: 1 oz Centeninial
Flameout: 1 oz Amarillo
Dry hop: 1 ounce Amarillo, 1 ounce Columbus

Qbrew tells me this is will give me 110 IBU's but I will only be boiling about 4 gallons, so I figure I will fall a bit short of that, I'm hoping for closer to 80 or 90. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Six months should be enough for this bill. Plan on a major blowout. Rack to a secondary in two weeks and add a high gravity yeast, I like champagne, but white wine yeasts and distiller's yeasts also work.

ericj551 said:
How does this look for a barleywine? I'm planning to mini-mash and hoping it will be ready by around the end of the year. I will pitch on a yeast cake of 1056.

Grain bill:
2 Maris Otter
1 # Crystal 60
.5 # Carahell
8 # Light DME
1 # Brown sugar
Shooting for around 1.100 OG

Hops:
90 min: 1 oz Chinook, 1 oz Columbus
15 min: 1 oz Centeninial
Flameout: 1 oz Amarillo
Dry hop: 1 ounce Amarillo, 1 ounce Columbus

Qbrew tells me this is will give me 110 IBU's but I will only be boiling about 4 gallons, so I figure I will fall a bit short of that, I'm hoping for closer to 80 or 90. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The first couple of batches of barleywine that I made used brown suger. The third batch I left out the brown sugar and liked it WAY better. Other than that it looks good to me.:mug:

Back