Irish Red Ale Dad's Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badducky

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, 65 degrees
Tasting Notes
Solid red ale, caramelly malt forward, with roasted and estery notes
I started working on a red ale recipe for my dad, and after trying a few different things from a few different places, I sort of dialed backwards into a recipe that is only slightly off Jamil's Irish Red Ale article in BYO. So it goes.

Dad's Red Ale

5 gallon recipe:

8 pounds of 2-row American Pale Ale Malt
8 ounces of American Crystal 40l
6 ounces of American Crystal 120l
4 ounces of Roasted Barley
2 ounces of Torrified Wheat
1/2 an ounce of Glacier @60 minutes
1/2 an ounce of Glacier @20 minutes
Nottingham Ale Yeast, no starter.

Single-Infusion Mash in at 153 for one hour. Mash out at 170.

Bring to a boil, for 90 minutes.

1/2 an ounce of Glacier at the 60 minute mark, and the other half at the 20 minute mark.

Ferment cool at 65 degrees for two weeks.

Put directly into a bottling bucket, from there, with about 3-4 ounces of priming sugar.

In the bottle, it is drinkable in about two weeks, but better at four or six.

I've oak-aged this once, with bourbon-soaked oak chips, and that was really wonderful, and ended up - with the vanilla spice notes of Hungarian oak and all the caramel malt flavor - tasting like a really nice root beer/craft beer hybrid. Not everyone liked it oaked. (My dad and I sure did!)

This one's for my Dad!

I made it again yesterday, and will be sending it almost all home with him the next time he's down for a weekend.

That looks good. I see a lot of Irish Red recipes without the roasted barley. I think it needs the RB. I use WLP004 (Irish Ale), and I think it works well with the caramel and malty flavor from the grain.

I've used Nottingham for a simple reason: It makes the final cost of the brew less than 25 dollars, and the results are very tasty and crowd-pleasing.

I tried Windsor but it didn't dry up enough, and it tasted heavy. I also have used Safale Us-05 and it comes out really drinkable, but not as good as Nottingham.

I'll be brewing this tomorrow. Will update with my thoughts. Real excited for this!

Back