Help, 5lb CO2 only lasts about 2 – 3 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikefromMichigan

Reaction score
I started kegging 6 months ago and purchased 2 used kegs and a new CO2 bottle and regulator. After reading some of the forum postings, I assumed I should be able to carbonate and serve about a dozen kegs per 5lb refill. I use the Carbonation table for carbonation settings, but only get between 2 and 3 kegs per 5lb refill.
I use Keg lube on all O ring, and I have replaced all O rings. I have squirted star san on all connections to see if there is a leak, but I have not found any.

Just read about turning the keg lid 180 degrees to reseal and blasting with 30 psi and pull on the lid . I’ll try this when I get a refill tomorrow to see if it helps.
I’ll try again to squirt to see if I can see where the leak is, if I have one, but if that doesn’t work what other suggestions does anyone have. How else can I find where a leak may be?

Thanks

Are you waiting for the kegs to be cold to start putting them on pressure? That will help but doesnt seem like its the entire problem.

I was charging a keg last weekend and sprayed down w/Star-San. No leaks. Bout 5 min later noticed some micro-bubbles coming from the release valve. Took off the lid, rinsed and replaced the lid... no more leak. Took a while to notice the bubbles.

Fill a tub and submerge the pressurized keg? Sounds like a very slow leak somewhere.

This.

Good Idea. I guess I could do the same with the kegs and lines. How can I check the regulator for leaks?

You can form a sort of bowl out of duct tape that wraps around each regulator connection, and fill it with star-san/soapy water. Everything else you should be able to submerge.

Are you waiting for the kegs to be cold to start putting them on pressure? That will help but doesnt seem like its the entire problem.

:confused: How would chilling the kegs first have any effect on gas usage?

I believe that I have heard it takes more CO2 (and a longer period of time) to carb up a warm keg of beer.

I believe that I have heard it takes more CO2 (and a longer period of time) to carb up a warm keg of beer.

Which should help find the leak sooner, not later, as less of the CO2 will be in susupension and more will be in the head space.

It does take longer, because solubility of CO2 decreases at warmer temps. The amount of CO2 used to carbonate to a specific carb level is identical regardless of the temperature. Waiting to connect the gas until the beer has chilled serves no purpose that I can think of.

It does take longer, because solubility of CO2 decreases at warmer temps. The amount of CO2 used to carbonate to a specific carb level is identical regardless of the temperature. Waiting to connect the gas until the beer has chilled serves no purpose that I can think of.

Good to know. Maybe I assumed it took more CO2 since it takes longer.

Thanks for all the input. As I was getting the CO2 tank filled at the LHBS, they mentioned that the keg in and out posts may have a slightly different diameter on my ball lock kegs and that might be the cause of the leak, if I have them the wrong way round. Is that normal, if so how do I know which is which, apart from checking their diameters?

Yes I have the regulator washer and a spare. It does tend to fall out whenever I remove the regulator, so it is not very snug in the lock nut.

Thanks for all the input. As I was getting the CO2 tank filled at the LHBS, they mentioned that the keg in and out posts may have a slightly different diameter on my ball lock kegs and that might be the cause of the leak, if I have them the wrong way round. Is that normal, if so how do I know which is which, apart from checking their diameters?

Gas in are the ones with notches. See arrows.

posts.jpg

Well I finally got around to checking for the leak. I submerged the keg so that both beer and gas connections and lid were submerged for at least 1 hour and set the pressure to about 20psi. I was hoping to see a stream of bubbles, but saw nothing. That leaves the CO2 tank, regulator and hose connection to the CO2 tank. I made sure the regulator O’ring was in place and the nut was tight.

To test the regulator,I tried making a cup with duck tape to hold some star san to see if that was where the leak may be, but I could not get a good seal around the hose, and the star san leaked out.

One thing I have not yet tried is to turn the CO2 on with just the regulator attached and leave for a week or so to see if the CO2 volume drops, but that means no homebrew for a while.

So does anyone have any more ideas of testing the regulator, hose connector or tank for leaks.

Thanks

SANY3401.jpg

SANY3406.jpg

Back