March pump fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmancuso

Reaction score
I just ordered my march pump and am wondering what fittings to get. I've seen the threads here where people are using brass stainless or the hi temp plastic qd's. I for now the only thing I will be using it for is a whirlpool IC, do I need to use qd's or is there an easier way? Also I've noticed the tri clover fittings on brewers hardware are not much more than the other qd's. Are these recommended for use on pumps? And for tubing is 1/2 "id 3/4" od silicone tubing the right stuff to use?

Thanks, James

The tubing depends on your fittings, not the pump, but 1/2" id would be pretty standard. You can always just use standard SS barbs.

I was referring to the o.d. I have read on here that the thinner stuff collapses when using the pump,I just couldn't remember the recommended thickness.

TCs are quite a bit more than stainless camlocks in my opinion. If you only have one source/destination plan for the pump, it can be as simple as hose barbs.

I read on another thread that the narrow id of the cam locks restrict flow when using a whirlpooler? Since that is the main thing I will be doing for now I was avoiding them.

I read on another thread that the narrow id of the cam locks restrict flow when using a whirlpooler? Since that is the main thing I will be doing for now I was avoiding them.

Yeah, keep reading the Cam Lock threads. There are solutions to that.

bbognerks said:
Only the camlocks with hose barbs have a narrow path. What Bobby has suggested and many of us do is to use a 1/2" street 90. You can either grind down the threads to slip the hose over the end, or you can thread the hose on. Also, you can get aluminum camlocks for 1/2 the price of the stainless ones.

Sorry I'm really slow when it comes to this stuff. Is the 1/2 street 90 a separate idea or do you do it in addition to grinding the threads? Also if I just use the 1/2" street 90's and just a hose barb(no qds) will te flow be restricted?

Latest posts

Back