Best Beer Magazine....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

means0451

Reaction score
What is the best beer magazine out there? Not really about beer brewing, but just beer in general?

i flipped through a copy of beer advocate at a homebrew store a while back. pretty impressive. hard to find on the shelves. not many people know it exists. it's interesting that beeradvocate.com came first, then the print version.

I prefer Zymurgy over BYO. Both are very good though.

If you are not a member of the AHS, you should join today. $38 a year is a fantastic deal for the magazine, pub discounts and supporting a great organization that aims to keep politicians from meddling with our hobby. The pub discounts alone usually make up for the cost of membership.

Welcome to the Brewers Association

As far as general-interest beer magazines go, I haven't found any that seemed worth the purchase price.

I just picked up a copy of Beer at Borders yesterday. I was very pleasantly surprised. Kind of a mix between say Maxim and BYO. Its really cool what they do though. They focus mainly on US microbreweries and always have a section on homebrewing recipes and techniques. They also always have a multipage article on a particular style of beer. I though it was a really cool read. If you are looking for a homebrew mag go with BYO but if you want a really solid general beer mag go with Beer. Heres the link Beer Magazine - Everything you need for all things beer

Good call on Beer Magazine. I also picked it up at Borders and was very pleasantly surprised. Most recent issue is of course for St. Patty's Day and had good reviews of commercial beers, a few recipes, and just over all good stuff. I would highly recommend Beer Magazine and BYO of course... BYO is a pretty much a staple in the homebrewing community.

+1 BYO +2 Zymurgy - will look for Beer today. Have never seen Beer Advocate but their website is great but not a home brewing mag

I've picked up draft magazine in the store a few times and really like it. My wife gave me a gift subscription for Christmas and I'm still waiting for the first one to arrive.

Isn't "Draft" something like "Maxim"? Wasn't impressed when I picked "Draft" up at Barnes & Noble for a flip through.

Check out "All About Beer" magazine. I have subscribed for about 3 years, and really like it's over-all content, and it's a nice looking magazine, something you can leave out on the coffee table in your living room.

Every issue includes:

A buyers guide of a certain style, rated by the Beverage Tasting Institute, with tasting notes.

Industry news, imports, macros and micros alike, along with what's new on the shelves.

A homebrew column.

A column by Fred Eckhardt.

A column about spirits or wine.

Articles about particular styles, and beer drinking in certain cities or areas of the country.

Check it out at www.allaboutbeer.com

"All About Beer" is good but BYO I must say is amazing. If you have not picked it up give it a try. You can get a free issue from their web site.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Subscribe to BYO

I picked up a DRAFT a few weeks ago and liked it. Nice pictures and interesting articles. Not about homebrewing though.

It's been a long time since I read any other brewing mags. I get all I need online. I might join AHA though soon, and start getting my subscription.

I prefer Zymurgy over BYO. Both are very good though.

If you are not a member of the AHS, you should join today. $38 a year is a fantastic deal for the magazine, pub discounts and supporting a great organization that aims to keep politicians from meddling with our hobby. The pub discounts alone usually make up for the cost of membership.

Welcome to the Brewers Association

As far as general-interest beer magazines go, I haven't found any that seemed worth the purchase price.

This is what I'm confused about. Do you just get 1 magazine, or is it a subscription to the magazine?

Anybody have experience with "Beer Advocate" mag? Their website is really cool and I use it a lot, so I was considering their mag....but input would be nice!

BeerAdvocate magazine (1-year subscription) : BeerAdvocate Store

As of now I get Zymurgy always...and BYO sometimes. Both are nice. I think BYO is slightly better though.

I am a founding subscriber, so I am locked in at the $20 price for life, definitely worth it. If I were going to pay $30 a year I would probably expect something a bit more (especially since they switched from the sexy glossy pages to the heavy weight newsprint pages). I haven't read anything else, so I can not really compare.

I have got 2 issues of BYO on my subscription so far and purchased a couple before that. I love it but do wish I came more often.

I just signed up for the AHA and will hopefully be getting a issue of Zymurgy soon so I can't say how that is yet.

I got a freebie subscription to Draft, I wouldn't pay for it. It's pretty to look at, but not much substance. Like, an article about the hop shortage MONTHS after it was news (article came out almost exactly at the time we could start buying hops again).

I got a freebie subscription to Draft, I wouldn't pay for it. It's pretty to look at, but not much substance. Like, an article about the hop shortage MONTHS after it was news (article came out almost exactly at the time we could start buying hops again).

I agree, but the pictures are very nice and the articles are still pretty good IMO. I've only checked out one issue, and they have articles on plenty of craft beer and foreign beers that I don't get much info on elsewhere.

I'm a sucker for nice pictures. Must be ingrained from years of looking at my dads hidden stash...

If you're talking homebrewing mags, Zymurgy and BYO are both good, but I think BYO now edges out. If you're talking beer mags, I really like All About Beer, especially after the redesign they did ~ a year ago. In fact, I need to renew my subscription this week. Draft and Beer were like Maxim to me, and I don't care for Maxim - what's the point? Buy Playboy or just cruise the Internet for more titillating eye candy, if that's what you're looking for!

Picked up a copy of Beer Mag the other night and it was like a Maxim for beer. Pretty pictures, some half-naked women and a few articles on homebrewing. I particularly liked the articles on new drinking games. I'll never play them, but it took me back to my college days of beer pong and Presidents and A**holes.

BYO is the best mag I can find on the newstands. Haven't found a Zymurgy here yet.

Questions about beer magazines:
Does BYO or Zymurgy have a section on commercial brews? Tasting notes of commercial styles? It is hard to tell from their respective website but both look to be completely about homebrewing, but it just seems like it is the perfect medium to also have commercial beer info.

I guess Zymurgy is good because it means getting a membership to AHA, which has to be a good thing, right?

Zymurgy gets huge props on the name. I had to google it to realize how great the name was.

Back