Need Input on tweaking an ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I ordered all of the ingredients from Austin Home Brew to make a pumpkin ale. Now that I'm pumpkin ale'd out... I have no desire to make a pumpkin ale. I am hoping that if I post the ingredients I have here, someone can give me an idea of what sort of ale it will turn out to be if I leave out the pumpkin and pumpkin spice... along with any suggestions to tweak up the recipe and make something delicious out of it ---- that is not pumpkin.

Here goes..
Precrushed Grains (already blended and in a bag for steeping
-1/2 lb Vienna Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 60L
1/2 Lb Cara-Munich

Extract:
6 LB Extra Pale Extract
1 LB Munich Extract

Hops
1 oz Yakima Golding - split for bittering and flavor.

Yeast: Wyeast London Ale 1028

I'm sure just these ingredients would be great together. They look pretty solid. I am very open to either leaving this as is, or making it into a christmas ale, but have no idea how to do that - ie which spices when, etc.

Cheers;
Tom

Your grains and extract list looks yummy! I worry that the hops will be a bit light, though. I'd get another ounce; variety doesn't matter, but I'd choose something with mid-range AA%, like Challenger, Northern Brewer, or Perle. Use those for bittering, and split the Goldings for flavor and aroma, a half-ounce each added at 20 and 5 minutes left in the boil.

Should you decide to experiment with spices, you can make a tea (of the spices in hot water, strained) and add to taste at bottling time. This will permit you to bottle some of the beer without spice, just for kicks. :)

Bob

Your grains and extract list looks yummy! I worry that the hops will be a bit light, though. I'd get another ounce; variety doesn't matter, but I'd choose something with mid-range AA%, like Challenger, Northern Brewer, or Perle. Use those for bittering, and split the Goldings for flavor and aroma, a half-ounce each added at 20 and 5 minutes left in the boil.

Should you decide to experiment with spices, you can make a tea (of the spices in hot water, strained) and add to taste at bottling time. This will permit you to bottle some of the beer without spice, just for kicks. :)

Bob

Bob.
Your last bit of advice made me sign up as a site supporter. This feedback is great as well. Thanks a ton. I will pick up some hops and play with it a bit. I also like the idea of making the tea... I'll fire up 1/2 case and see whats happening.
Much appreciated.
What sort of beer will this be at that point? I can't really determine it from the ingredients yet.

The recipe right now looks kinda like a very low hopped pale ale. Add some more finishing hops in there. I would go with the classic centinneal and cascade combo and make a nice pale ale

Excellent. I can pick up some more hops today and have some fun with it.
Thanks again to all!

Back