Cooling a Lager while fermentation & where you at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubastevewhite

Reaction score
I would like to brew a lager and have a question about kkeping a lager cool while fermenting. Is it as simple as putting the batch/bucket in a cool dark corner or do I need to put in a cooler.

Oh and by the way....any brewers in far northeast houston? Say.....Kingwood/Humble Atascocota?

sS

I would like to brew a lager and have a question about kkeping a lager cool while fermenting. Is it as simple as putting the batch/bucket in a cool dark corner or do I need to put in a cooler.

Oh and by the way....any brewers in far northeast houston? Say.....Kingwood/Humble Atascocota?

sS

A "cool dark corner" might work just fine if your corner is in a basement and around 50 degrees. Most lager yeast work at 48-55 degrees. After fermentation is finished comes the lagering phase. I lager mine at 34 degrees for 6-12 weeks, depending on the "size" of the beer. A maibock, for example, ferments out in about 2-3 weeks at 50 degrees, then I rack and lager for 12 weeks at 34 degrees. (I do a diacetyl rest before racking, if needed).

So, you may be able to manage it just fine as long as you have the lagering ability.

So, you may be able to manage it just fine as long as you have the lagering ability.

Lucky me I guess...My wife runs a flower shop from home so I have a rather large cooler that she keeps her flowers cool. Don't know why I didn't snap to it quicker, would've tried it along time ago.

The only way I am going to get a small corner in the cooler is if I brew a beer of her choice first. No problems there :D

sS

Hard to imagine a corner cool enough in Houston... You might want to try the ice water bath trick.

Back