Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twst1up

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm thinking that, given my abilities and comfort level, I'd like to start construction on a wood framed Rims/Herms system. I've been inspired by many that i've seen here (scubasteve et.al:rockin:) but haven't found a thread dealing solely with a wooden system. I've been slowly acquiring upgraded equipment in preparation for making the jump to all grain: 15 gallon megapot, nice new cooler, and a donated keg. I've also acquired a super big all coper cfc and a pump rated to 180degrees. So, how bout it....let's just see ur woodies?!?!

Look forward to all your replies

If you look hard, you can see my wood underneath my MLT. :D

NewBrewSetup.jpg

No matter what Ed says, I've never been on his wood!!!

He does have a really nice deck, though.

Very true..... Word!!

I'm glad you think my big deck is nice. :D I Hope to check out yours during a brew session some day.

In the spirit of big decks...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look hard, you can see my wood underneath my MLT. :D

NewBrewSetup.jpg

Those big Blichman Kettles sure are impressive...r u happy with ur investment? Hey, are those just sheets of flashing ur using for wind/heat shields?

thanks for sharing

Those big Blichman Kettles sure are impressive...r u happy with ur investment? Hey, are those just sheets of flashing ur using for wind/heat shields?

thanks for sharing

Very happy. It rocks! Yes those are sheets of flashing. They keep the wind down and protect my knees and shins from heat. Works great!

Edwort, is the keg your hlt, the cooler your mash tun, and the boilermaker is of course the brewpot? or am i totally off here. I kinda new toall grain and i am tryin to get a easier way to brew w/o having to run in and out of the house the whole time. My wife said she was gonna have to put water on the hinges to cool them down the during my last brew I dont wanna build a huge setup like i thought anymore just organize everything outside and take the kitchen stove out of my setup

Edwort, is the keg your hlt, the cooler your mash tun, and the boilermaker is of course the brewpot?

Yep. I use a graduated bucket to move sparge water to my cooler MLT and gravity to the Boilermaker, then gravity to 2 bucket fermenters for a 10 gallon batch. Pretty simple, but it is a chore to put in place and put away.

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread. I built a brewstand two weeks ago out of 2x4s and some laminate countertop.

I made the plans with Google's sketchup:

BrewStand07.png

and here it is, in action:

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Since then I've already built a shelf in the high part to hold the propane tank, and I intend to fully enclose it with some nice cabinetry. Cheers~

Yep. I use a graduated bucket to move sparge water to my cooler MLT and gravity to the Boilermaker, then gravity to 2 bucket fermenters for a 10 gallon batch. Pretty simple, but it is a chore to put in place and put away.
Sounds like you're ready to build a brew stand. Need some steel? ;)

Nice work Mike C! I like that setup, and may have to do something like that myself...I just need to find a keggle or another big brewpot. Oh, BTW is that a Dell D800 laptop?

Here are a couple shots of my wood framed single teir system that I'm in the middle of building. I have all the parts and the HLT is completely plumbed in. I finished the manifold that'll actually go under a false bottom in the MT last night.

I got all sorts of the equip for nothing and good deals on other parts so I'm going a bit overboard with solenoids, three pumps, etc etc...

The pots are aluminum (I'll give 'em a go and see how they work out). The HLT and Boil Kettle are both 25 gal each and then the MT is a 20 gal mounted inside a 30 and expanding foam blown between them to insulate them.

OH... and excuse the DISASTER that my garage is. It's been a crazy few months and I'm spending my free time building the rig and not cleaning. It won't be that way once I actually start pushing wort through that thing.

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

CB - Nice looking stand. Is the top made out of a heat resistant material? I couldn't tell from the pics what it is.

Here's one click-free. ;)

attachment.php

It is... it's cement board. I'm going to mount two burners, one under the HLT and one under the boil kettle, on top of the cement board.

I'll regulate heat in the tun via a plate chiller that's mounted underneath (it's there but almost impossible to see in the pic).

The heat shields are these large stainers that came with the pots. I had no idea what the hell to do with them and then had the idea of using them as heat sheilds. The one under the tun is purely decorative but I think it makes the whole set up look a lot nicer.

yeah, that is what i wanna do but i need a second burner, i have had thoughts of changing my brewpot that i use now which is a converted keg into a hlt, and buying a megapot for my brew kettle, one of the big reasons being obviously staying outside the whole time and having everything i need out there, and two i believe that my immersion chiller would work way better in a mega pot bc it is really not that effcient in the keg bc most of it sticks over the top of the wort. but, that is another 300 hundred bucks so unless goodwill starts selling brewing supplies i will have to wait....bummmer

Nice work Mike C! I like that setup, and may have to do something like that myself...I just need to find a keggle or another big brewpot. Oh, BTW is that a Dell D800 laptop?

Nope, it's a big, bad Inspiron 1100 circa 2002. :)

My ghetotastic brew rig:

brewrig.jpg

I have since added some more wheels and got rid of that bad bowing problem. I've brewed with it 11 times this summer and so far it's been outstanding. I also added a single pump since this picture (pump through the CFC, works a LOT faster.)

Back