WHat's the best smoking forum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhwrecker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been a member here for 3-4 years, and find it an awesome source of information on all aspects of homebrew, and more, including cooking. I just bought a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker, and am looking forward to start learning how to smoke. Besides this forum, what's a good site for additional information? I've started to search, but there's a ton of smoking web sites out there, and I'd like a few hints first.

Thanks, Mort

I have used smokingmeatforums. The only complaint i have is that i cant get the forum on my phone or tablet through an app like i can here. I do like to book by the guy who runs that forum. It helped me get started. I am going to check out the suggested bbqbretheren.

I have an MES 30 as well. Smoking some whole chickens this weekend. Hope you have fun with your MES30

Ditto to the above comments. I've been smoking meat for 25 years and thought I would give SMF a try. What a headache. Problem after problem and the egos some members possess are incredible. Unlike this forum which is amazing to say the least. First, I couldn't get any speed out of my computer. It was all the ads. Then, I couldn't log in with my mobile. I tried sending pics the hard way, through my laptop. No success. I emailed the site several times and noone answers. Not once. And that was after I paid to get rid of the ads. I don't even visit the site any more. I have a lot to offer when it comes to smoking meat and was thoroughly disgusted with the site. I'm glad these members above suggested another. I'll check it out.

I used to read through The Smoke Ring when I started getting more serious about smoking and grilling. As I remember, it was a good forum with tons of info but I haven't looked at it in many years. Might be worth checking it out.

I 2nd the virtualweber site.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned amazingribs.com.
Great site for info, with a scientific bent.

Yep, TVWB is really good too.

I'll echo what 2grit says about SMF and the egos. Bbqbrethren is a nice combo of good information and friendly folks who wise-ass and joke around a little bit. You know - kinda like here.

Of those mentioned I would go Webber. On the others, not only will you deal with egos, the majority of them will look down on you for your smoker choice. I can also say the cookshack forum has some decent advice for electric smoking.

I moved through all the phases of smoking (electric, gas, stick) and now settled on pellet for the last 6 years....I would not change back. But, the truth is there is no magic in home smoking, learning your smoker, staying within its limits, and having fun trying new things is the ideal.

All the want to be on those forums who all the think they are the next Memphis champ......not much fun.

I decided today I needed a smoker. I've been smoking ribs and chicken on my gas grill to stock the freezer for the cooler weather coming. Looked at the mentioned sites. Went with a recommended propane smoker on the AmazingRibs site. Purchased the Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" through Walmart a couple of minutes ago. Currently on sale for $235.

Thanks for all the good information. Didn't even have to post a query to get help.

BBQBrethern is my go to.I dont post very often there but the info is great and it has a ton of people and on the few occasions I had questions I got a few really good replies.
I also like the WSM forum but its just not always busy and with a lot of new WSM owners there is a lot of repetitive questions all from new people.
The amazingrib site was very helpful when I first started smoking meat especially turkey and brisket.

Just wanted to give a big thanks again to all the useful tips here - there are quite a few different sites out there, and plenty of info. happy smoking, all.

Dang I just found this section!! I like pelletheads.com. I have a Traeger wood pellet grill that's about 20 years old and still going strong. After harvesting an elk this year I made my first elk sausage. It could be way better but I'm on the right track. Went with an elk, bacon, mango, and hatch chili brat.

It's undeniable that I know everything possible there is to know about barbecuing and grilling, I check bbqbretheren, thesmokering, amazingribs, and texasbbqforum to make sure that there content is up to my high standards. It mostly is...I can recommend any of them.

BBQ Brethren, Virtual Weber and Pelletheads. I have competed for the last 11 years and those three are the sites I still go to. As others have mentioned they are pretty laid back sites with tons of information.

Mark

Back