Brewery design.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my kegs but was thinking of doing the first all grain today. But it's been raining for the last week.

I've had a rethink on the design. I just put this together from bits I already had and have done a test. 10c to 75c in 30 minutes.

hot%20water%20tank.JPG

element.JPG

I'm going to see if I can do a brew this afternoon.

Is that heating element installed in a plastic bucket?

Is it not getting too hot for the plastic?

Do you have a temp controller on it?

You can buy commercials of the same design but they are £80.
It's quite a rigid bucket. It is fitted through a large brass boss. I'm not going to boiling for hours, it's just for raising to mash temp, 168f. I'll keep an eye on it for the first few time. It's a 3kw immersion heater element with a built in theremiostat. I'm not sure how accurate it is though. So I'm using this for now.
pict001518qt.jpg

One of them is done.

I'm thinking I can mash inside and boil outside, we've had 2 weeks of rain and I've only got one boil ring and I had the element already.

For all of those reasons I thought I'd put it together like this so I can get going. I'm going to get everything ready this afternoon and hopefully brew in the morning. (I'm not confident I have enough gas in the bottle and don't want to run out outside shop hours)

I'm going to physically set everything up ready.
Here the stuff ready.

3%20tier.JPG

ORRELSE said:
Won't that scorch the grain?

Its a good idea--I'd love to do something like that--if it works.... :p :D
That's what I was thinking until I saw the pic...looks like orf is using the bucket/element as a HLT and actually mashing in the cooler? As long as the bucket can take the heat, it looks like good to me.

What's the stainless built in unit to the right? Coffee related?

Yep it's a hot water tank only to feed the mash tun and sparge water.
Into the cooler
Then boil in the keg.

The silver thing is a built in coffee machine. :D

cda-cc1.jpg

Do you want to know the best bit?

It's a £500 machine a friend had fitted in there new kitchen. It stopped working after 1 week. The engineer called and it wasn't a servicable part that had bust, it was a fault on the main board. The engineer couldn't fix it and rather than send it back to italy for repair they replaced the full machine. They shipped a new machine and told him to skip the old machine.
I saved it from the skip (I actually dug it out of his bin!)
It was a push switch on the board that had bust. The switch cost me 75p from Maplin. :D

Back