Bitter Beer ):

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Reaction score
I just made my first beer. It was coopers canadian blonde ale. Nothing to extravagant the first time around. I followed the directions as they were written.
I started this 8/21, been bottled about 2 weeks. It has a very bitter taste to it? Am i rushing things, or is there anything i couldve done wrong? Oh yeah ive got these already in a extra fridge, is that ok for aging?
Can anyone recommend another extract as well? Just looking for a little help. Thanks as usual for this great site. skip in ar...

Yeah, you might just be rushing things. 3 - 4 weeks in the bottle is really the minimum for most beers because they will taste better with a bit of aging at room temperature. Give them a try in two weeks and see - I'll bet you see an improvement.

bitter as in 'too much hop bitterness'?

or a different kind of bitter that would lean towards an infection?

it takes a good set of tastebuds and experience to know hop bitterness from 'other' bitterness.

woog11 said:
I already have these in a fridge, is that ok?
Usually folks let the bottles condition at room temp for at least 3 weeks to get carb'd up. If they're not carbonated, they won't carbonate in the fridge.

You probably need to describe the "bitter" a bit better. :D

Bitter from hops will leave a back of the throat after bite.
Bitter from a yeast bite will be more at the top of the mouth and there will be like a slight sour bread twinge.
Bitter from grain astringency will be smack dab in the middl fo your tongue and leave you a bit puckered.

Thank you for all the replies. Gosh i wish i could be more help. The beer has carbed up pretty good, not a huge head but pretty good foam.
The bitterness is definitely not in the back of my throat, kinda around the sides of my tongue, possibly a little in the roof of my mouth, mainly around the tongue, no bread or yeasty flavor.

Agreed, set them aside and start planing your next batch!

Welcome to the hobby, enjoy the ride :)

Cheers

Thank you guys for all the help. I will do just that. Look out next tuesday here i come! lol.

Back