Beer-Related Baby Name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crbrown25

Reaction score
Need some input from the community. My wife will be giving birth to our 1st son in about 4 weeks. We are seriously considering the name Porter. Pretty cool, right? Even better...our last name is Brown. That means my son's name in the phone book (people still use those, right?) would be Brown Porter. Is this a ridiculous name, or is it a name he will thank me for in 25 or 30 years when his appreciation for beer reaches the level of his dad's?

Oh man. A couple buddies and I went on quite a kick before my daughter was born. Told my wife we were going to name her Brettny.

...Is this a ridiculous name, or is it a name he will thank me for in 25 or 30 years...

Don't worry, no matter what you call him there is not a chance he will thank you for it :D
Porter is pretty good for sneaking it in there without being obvious though!

My second daughter is due August 9. She's gonna be Vienna. My wife said yes immediately because she's a classical pianist so Vienna has meaning for her too. It helps also that one of Billy Joel's greatest songs is Vienna too.

My Sister's dog is named Porter. Also, not beer related, but I've known loads of people that have either a child or a dog named Bailey.

How about Pliny? If you end up with a second son, name him Pliny too so you can have both the elder and the younger.

So tell me the story of your name!
My dad named me after beer.
... Oh.

Seriously - its a fun idea to bat around, but talk to some Magicas and Moonbeams and Dweezils from my generation before making the decision in a non-traditional name.

We all think of beer when we hear "brown porter." Others might think of this and not think it's all that great.

image-2371109037.jpg

I agree that Brett would be good. Brett Brown has a nice ring to it.

Plus, with matching initials, he'll be at least 3 times as likely to gain super-powers at some point in his life.
Just ask Peter Parker.

I second Cooper and Kent. Kent actually works two ways: hops and Burton on- famous brewing region.

My brewing partner and his SWMBO have two little Belgian ankle-biters named Stella and Duvel. Not so sure Corsendonk would be a good name for a kid, maybe Trap (as in -ist)

If you're hispanic you might could get away with Heffe.

Samuel Smith Brown?

Name him after the legendary "Edwort". Just say the hospital peeps messed up with the spelling :d

I knew I could count on you all for some entertaining feedback. I think my wife damn near went into labor she was laughing so hard while reading some of the posts.

My name is also Brown, I don't know if it was chance but my full name is:
Eugene Simon Brown -> the initials ESB Extra Special Bitter and I love the stuff! ;) good luck to you both!

My second daughter is due August 9. She's gonna be Vienna. My wife said yes immediately because she's a classical pianist so Vienna has meaning for her too. It helps also that one of Billy Joel's greatest songs is Vienna too.

I love the name, but I have to admit, being born and bred in the South, that the European city wasn't the first thing I thought of. Except I also had to re-pronounce the name in my head the "proper" way first, too.

In the South, "Vienna" is typically associated with a particular brand of canned sausages. And pronounced "VIE-enney". I'm not sure why. And I know it is wrong...just hard to shake what you grew up with sometimes. I hope this isn't bad news for you, but better to know now than later if it is, I suppose. :drunk:

;) no, that's fine. We have Vienna sausages up here too. Actually my wife knows two Viennas and I believe I went to school with one. Both of my daughters names are real names, just ones that are no longer common. I'm not one for strange, made up names.

Kent is a common name in my family. I have a cousin named Kent, and it's my brother's middle name. I always liked it.

What bugs me is not made up names but made up stupid spellings.

dan'Elle, Genifur, and Suzen are all normal names with mentally handi-capable spellings.

Even if Vienna wasnt a real name, I'd accept it so long as it wasnt Veeyena. I have absolutely no idea why this topic stresses me out so much.

Back