Just opened a Bass...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrid

Reaction score
...and it has a weird rotten cabbage smell and aftertaste. anyone else ever encounter this? I opened a second one, same thing. I'm a little miffed 'cause I don't have any homebrew to drink now. I just got done running a whole bunch of errands and REALLY don't feel like going back to the store!

Sounds like Di-Methyl Sulfite to me. Nasty chemical that forms during the boil and usually escapes into the air. Surprised Bass tastes like that. I've never had a problem with it at my bar.

I'm betting that beer has been through less than ideal conditions. You don't know how it was handled after it left the brewery and setting on a boat in a hot container for a trip across the pond didn't do it any good.
I'd return the beer if I were you.

ah, and my wife just happened to be making a dinner with roasted veggies with cabbage and canned salmon at the time. The meal was good, but it had a similar aroma only in an acceptable context. So I've had this lingering cabbage taste following me around ever since last night.
I'm making Thai chicken kabobs tonight, and Bass would be a great pairing. Maybe I can find a fresher batch. I dunno, a little skeptical now; wish I still had some of my steam beer left!

Hope your dinner came out okay. On a related note, the distributor for the bar I work at told us they can't get Bass right now. Anyone else noticed a lack of availability in the U.S.? We also can't get Boddington's. Apparently, there was some problems with customs, some paperwork not filled out correctly, so we're without both of those for another month or so.

Back