Label Making 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaumaturgist

Reaction score
Can someone outline the basics of making my own label?

Do I have to buy "label paper" or can I just use copier paper?

What is the typical size of the label?

What programs do you typically use?

What is the best method for getting a home made label to stick?

What kind of printer is best?

Does the ink tend to run?

I don't even know where to begin, so if someone would give me a hand, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thaumaturgist said:
Do I have to buy "label paper" or can I just use copier paper?

Copy paper works just fine

What is the typical size of the label?

Any size you want it to be!

What programs do you typically use?

Most people use Photoshop but any graphics program you are comfortable with will work.

What is the best method for getting a home made label to stick?

Use milk. It works surprisingly well. Also easy to remove when finished.

What kind of printer is best?

A color laser printer works best. If you do not have access to one, print using your home printer and bring it to a Kinko's or the like to get color copies made.

Does the ink tend to run?

Laser printer will not run. Inkjet printer will when wet.

Rick91981 said:
Laser printer will not run. Inkjet printer will when wet.
You can "fix" inkjet ink by spraying the labels with a light coat of spray polyurethane. It dries very quickly, especially when aided by a hair dryer or sunlight. I do this with all of my labels. It makes for a slightly lesser quality label than laser printed ones, but the beer is what's important, not the label (unless your marketing your beer to teenagers...which would be bad...).

I guess what I'm getting at with the size question, is what is the normal label size. I suppose I could measure, or just start experimenting to find out what works. I probably varies from bottle to bottle. I have some 22 oz growler type bottles, and some regular 12 oz bottles... I guess I'll just play around, and see if I can get something to look good :D

Regular paper works just fine.

I know a lot of people use 3x4 but it can pretty much be whatever you want.

I use a free program from Serif, but then, I don't use any photos in my labels.

I have found a plain old glue stick works pretty well and is a cinch to remove with a little soak in OxyClean.

I use and inkjet printer and have had no problems with runny ink. Once I pour the beer and rinse the bottle it's a different story, but by then I don't care.

I found it really helpful to search for beer labels and see what kinds of designs I liked. Then I just started messing around until I found something that I thought suits me and my personal style.

I bought "label making paper" from the brew store that basically was like a sheet of paper with adhesive similar to a postage stamp that you just have to get wet. I also tried the milk method of dampening the back side with milk. I found the stamp like paper to peel off on it's own and curl, while the milk method paper held on tight and I was quite pleased. Just be careful not to soak the paper because the ink will bleed.

There is no standard size or shape. Find something that works for you and have fun

freeminer-bottles.jpg

SAB.gif

bottlelabels.jpg

This Milk method.... I'm intrigued.

How did you go about doing it? Brush on the milk?

2%? Whole Milk?

Details, please please please!

Another trick I've read, if you don't have access to a laser jet printer.....print off a sheet from your inkjet, and take it to Kinkos, or anywhere that has color copiers. Make enough copies for all of your labels, and the copies won't run.
Disclaimer: I read this but have not personally tried it.

Milk method:
I'm no expert, and I've only done it several times, but it did work. I put milk in a saucer. It was 1%, but only because that is what we have at the house. If it was 2% I would have used that. Then took a sponge and lightly dipped it in the milk. Then just painted the back of the label with the sponge a light layer of milk. Too much and the ink bleeds. Then stick it on the bottle and let dry. Real easy.

Once you add the milk, the label tends to curl so be ready to grab it and keep it straight.

Good luck.

JonnyO said:
Another trick I've read, if you don't have access to a laser jet printer.....print off a sheet from your inkjet, and take it to Kinkos, or anywhere that has color copiers. Make enough copies for all of your labels, and the copies won't run.
Disclaimer: I read this but have not personally tried it.

psst, see post #3! :D

ME said:
A color laser printer works best. If you do not have access to one, print using your home printer and bring it to a Kinko's or the like to get color copies made.

:mug:

Back