Bourbon Barrel Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izumidai

Reaction score
I would really like to experiment with a dubbel that I recently brewed and add bourbon and oak chips. I have read about a few beers like this and the feedback on the examples I found were all pretty good.

My question is, would I take the same approach as if I were doing this with say a porter or stout? My thinking is that since a dubbel has a drastically different flavor profile from a porter, would i need to scale back the oak and bourbon?

I know that the NB bourbon barrel porter recipe calls for 2oz of medium + oak and 16oz of bourbon. I know the roastiness of the porter stands up to those doses of oak and bourbon, but would those amounts overpower a dubbel?

Also, I am going to be using chips as I will only have a week or two available for the beer to be in contact with the oak. Since I am using chips, I know I have to cut the amount down anyway.

Any recomendations on the amount of oak chips (and toast) and bourbon to really balance nicely with 5 gallons of dubbel?

I would cut it back since dubbles tend to be drier than porters. Myabe .5 oz of oak (the heaviest toast American you can get). Then just add the bourbon to taste at bottling/kegging.

Back