Kölsch Black Widow Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This beer sounds delicious! SWMBO will love this. I am thinking of brewing this one early next week to have ready by Memorial Day weekend. I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help me with:

1) A couple of posters mentioned a D-rest for this. Is that really necessary if I use Wyeast 2565? Wyeast states 'with low to no diacetyl.'

2) Can anyone give me some advice on what kind of water profile this beer benefits from? I have horrible well water and use RO water and make adjustments to that.

Thanks for posting this recipe! Can't wait to try it.

-Klink

This beer sounds delicious! SWMBO will love this. I am thinking of brewing this one early next week to have ready by Memorial Day weekend. I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help me with:

1) A couple of posters mentioned a D-rest for this. Is that really necessary if I use Wyeast 2565? Wyeast states 'with low to no diacetyl.'

2) Can anyone give me some advice on what kind of water profile this beer benefits from? I have horrible well water and use RO water and make adjustments to that.

-Klink

I guess I answered my own question about water, posting here for others to enjoy :)

"Water in Köln is soft, with low levels of calcium, magnesium, and bicarbonates. Soft water is important because the "soft"mouthfeel of true Kölsch is due in no small part to the water and is certainly a major factor in the overall delicate impression the beer leaves with the drinker"

Above is from this article found in another thread-
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue6.1/williams.html

:mug:

-Klink

1 - I only have only used wlp029 for this recipe, but I do a D-rest on all beers I make. Necessary, maybe not... Do I sleep better doing it, sure. It is not a big deal for me to do a D-rest, just a few clicks on the temp controller and I am doing a D-rest.... a few more clicks then I cold crash.
I rushed a batch of this once and it was full of diacetyl... I had to dump it.... I will never make that mistake again.

2 - I use RO/DI water for this, I add 4 grams of calcium chloride and 4 oz of Acid malt to the mash for a 6.5 gallon batch.

good luck
Kevin

Hey All!

What temp did you do your D-rest at? I just got a ferm chamber set up so I'm able to start making beers like this and I am going to brew this on Sunday. Since the primary temp is already at 62 degrees, did you just kick it up to 65 degrees or so for a few days before starting secondary fermentation at 34 degrees for 28 days?

I ask because most D-rest info I find seems to indicate doing it between 55-60 degrees after primary fermentation completes, but the range for primary fermentation for this beer already exceeds 55-60 degrees.

I'm looking forward to brewing this on Sunday. I'll be doing a single infusion mash at 152F, using WLP029 yeast I got from a local brewery, and I'm thinking about using some 2row in addition to the Pils. A couple questions I have:

1. Will using 60% pils/ 40% 2row make a huge flavor difference vs 100% pils? Any drawback? Also has anyone used vienna in theirs? The local brewery uses both and their kolsch is superb.

2. This will be going from grain to glass in 3.5 weeks. I'm thinking about doing a 1-1.5 week primary, then 2 weeks cold conditioning. Some say it needs 2 months cold storage... Why is this? What kind of off flavors could I expect if it only gets 2 weeks cold before serving?

3. Does the yeast produce a lot of diacetyl? I will be ramping the primary temp up to ~68F after a few days and letting it sit for 3-4 more before racking, hopefully this will be enough to thoroughly reabsorb it.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I only use 2row in my kolsch and scored a 40 in a local competition.

The flavor peeks about 2 months but I start drinking mine at 3 weeks.

I haven't noticed diacetyl

I'm looking forward to brewing this on Sunday. I'll be doing a single infusion mash at 152F, using WLP029 yeast I got from a local brewery, and I'm thinking about using some 2row in addition to the Pils. A couple questions I have:

1. Will using 60% pils/ 40% 2row make a huge flavor difference vs 100% pils? Any drawback? Also has anyone used vienna in theirs? The local brewery uses both and their kolsch is superb.

2. This will be going from grain to glass in 3.5 weeks. I'm thinking about doing a 1-1.5 week primary, then 2 weeks cold conditioning. Some say it needs 2 months cold storage... Why is this? What kind of off flavors could I expect if it only gets 2 weeks cold before serving?

3. Does the yeast produce a lot of diacetyl? I will be ramping the primary temp up to ~68F after a few days and letting it sit for 3-4 more before racking, hopefully this will be enough to thoroughly reabsorb it.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to this one!

1 - I posted my changes earlier in the thread and dont have any experience with 2-row and Vienna... a small amount of both seems fine though.
You would lose some of the grainy-ness some look for with this style, IMHO.

2 (and 3) -My schedule, with WLP029 and this recipe.
Pitch a healthy amount into wort at 62, let the beer climb up to 63 in 24 hours. bump to 65 after 48-60 check the beer after 72 hours from pitch..should be around 1.020, if so (or when it is) ramp up the temp to 70 and I keep it there for another 10 days. The cold crash for 2 days then rack to a keg with gelatin, force carb and start drinking.

I have rushed a batch, once, and ended up dumping it because of diacetyl, never again. I pulled out of the primary and off the yeast too soon... bad idea.
Somewhere between 7 and 14 days in the primary the diacetyl will be gone, I always go to the long side (14 days total) to be sure. Guess/taste wrong and move it off the yeast to soon and you will have to dump you batch :)

Yes the beer is better if it sits in a cold, carbed, keg for a few weeks but it should not be a night and day change.
If you have an event and you need the beer in 3.5 weeks, you should be fine with the schedule I use.

good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Kevin

I only use 2row in my kolsch and scored a 40 in a local competition.

The flavor peeks about 2 months but I start drinking mine at 3 weeks.

I haven't noticed diacetyl

I would agree with this though I can never get enough in my pipeline to let it sit long enough. The last pull is usually the best! :)

I would agree with this though I can never get enough in my pipeline to let it sit long enough. The last pull is usually the best! :)

You need to brew bigger batches. I just got my 40 gallon pot just for this reason.

I just started doing 10 gal batches so I'm hoping this helps!

Just wanted to thank the OP for the recipe. I brewed it yesterday, had a bit of trouble with mash temp, but hit all my gravity numbers exactly. Most of the time my mash was around 147.

I had to adjust the recipe for the efficiency of my system ~70%. If anyone wants the figures for the adjustment, let me know and I would be happy to provide them.

My first brew with a ferm chamber! I will be following haeffnkr's temp advice.

Happy Brewing.

Out of curiosity, I kegged this about 1 week ago. It was lagered for 2 months. Will it hurt the flavour to let it sit in the keg for 1-2 months while I burn through my current pipeline?

Out of curiosity, I kegged this about 1 week ago. It was lagered for 2 months. Will it hurt the flavour to let it sit in the keg for 1-2 months while I burn through my current pipeline?

You should be fine. Just make sure it's carbed up a refrigerated. That's just my two cents.

Brewed this last night so I'm pretty excited to try it. I'm going to bottle this so I assume it would be necessary to pitch another yeast packet at bottling time since this will be lagered?

Brewing 10 gallons of this today. Should be a hit for spring. :)

a76bef61d95741472f5993373ef21052.jpg

Hi. I think this is my first post...anyway
I,ve been brewing all grain for about 2 years(about 15,10 gallon batches).
I recently made a 10 gallon batch of this, and I'm lovin' it(lol).
My mash temps were a little low, as I can remember. Probably 148ish.
I fermented for about 2 weeks with WLP-029 @ 66-70 degrees, mostly on the lower end.
Then I racked to kegs, carbonated at about 10 psi, and lagered at approx. 38 degrees for 3 weeks. There was sampling on the way there, of course, and it was very good, but it really cleaned up at about 2.5 weeks. I get a slight taste/smell of bubblegum, followed with a tropical fruit/grape taste on the palate.(This could be because of the warmer fermentation temperature?), ended by a medium hop bitterness which lingers in the finish. All the malty/sweet flavors and hop bitterness(not a bad thing) seem to linger.:mug:
I will be brewing this with a longer lagering period for a special summer brew. Definitely an interesting introduction to the style, and I hope the other Kolsch recipes can hold my interest as much.

I looked through all 6 pages of this post.. not one pic..
Can someone please post a pic of this brew.. ?

Good deal, didn't think there was all the difference to the end result between step and single infusion.

Saw some post where the mash temps were low (147, 148), a few others at 152-154. Guessing 151-ish would be ideal.

Back