which welder to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
I want to learn to weld so that I can construct a stainless steel brew stand. Also for other home projects, like a 55 gallon steel drum into a smoker. I have never welded before and would only be using it for hobby use and around the house fixes. Would this package get the job done?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
or should I go with something else?

The short answer is yes. It will work. BUT........

If you want to weld SS or any other metal for that matter, its my opinion that you spend a little extra and get a bottle to run solid core wire. You also need a dedicated 15 amp circut for that welder to run proper. Been there done that. Don't expect it to weld any heavy material either. They over rate the 110V welders IMO, big time. Your also gonna need the gas in order to weld SS.

Depending on how "in" to SS welding you want to get, another bottle and regulator for a purge would be best. It isn't hard to weld SS, it just has a couple of rules to be followed in order to do it right.

As usual GM is right on with his welding advice. As you start adding upgrades to unit @ HD, it will be an expensive and not so powerful unit. I found this on CL in your area. I realize that it is more than double the other unit, but it should be able to complete more of the welding jobs you may have in mind. And I would recommended against buying a welding machine from a big box store. Go see a professionals who do this every day. If you build a report with your local welding distributor they can greatly reduce your learning curve.

Good Luck...

Back