IPA recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So gonna do my first IPA, looking for something similar to Pizza Port's Hop-15. That being said I don't really want to use 15 types of hops and would like it to be under 50$ thoughts??

Exract or All-Grain? If you're doing extract, there's no way you'll make an IPA like that without going well over $50.

So I agree with above. Hard to get those prices down. That said, I have two comments.

1. If you don't want to use 15 types of hops then you will have a different beer and so you might as well look for a different recipe. There are a plethora of them up in the recipe section and depending on your tastes they range all over the board.

2. Might I suggest starting out with something simple for your first IPA so that you can get the basics down and then work your way into something more difficult. If I were you, I would start out with a recipe like this:

90% Base Malt
5% Caramel/Crystal Something or other (20L,60L, 120L, CaraMunich)
5% Flaked Oats (Quaker Quick Oats)

60min addition of a high alpha hop to get you about 60% of your wanted IBU's
20min addition of a Centennial/Chinook/Cascade/Willamette hop to about 15% of your IBU's
5min addition of same hop at 20min to get remainder of IBU's wanted
After two weeks of fermentation, dry hop for a week with an oz of whatever was your main hop

Ferment with US-05, 1056 or 001 for a clean beer.​

That said, that is geared towards All Grain, but I am mostly sure that Edworts House IPA is similar to that and has an extract recipe somewhere in the mix, a couple pages in or so. The idea being though that it is a simple IPA, not too difficult to make and after a few times you will get a good idea of how to make a great beer. And honestly, you can use Centennial for the entire hop schedule in order to make it only one hop.

Good luck and let us know what you want to do.

PS... if you are doing partial mash, try this:

7.5lbs DME
.75lbs Crystal60L steeped

Same hop schedule and yeast

So here's what I'm thinking, it will be extract.
3/4 lb. munich malt
1/4 lb. crystal 90
1/4 lb. carapils
6 lbs. light malt extract
hop schedule is
60 min 1 oz. chinook
30 min. 1 oz. chinook
15 min 2 oz. cascade
Not sure what yeast to use, I used 1028 before for a porter and it came out with a metallic taste, so I'm sketchey on it.
any thoughts?

So here's what I'm thinking, it will be extract.
3/4 lb. munich malt
1/4 lb. crystal 90
1/4 lb. carapils
6 lbs. light malt extract
hop schedule is
60 min 1 oz. chinook
30 min. 1 oz. chinook
15 min 2 oz. cascade
Not sure what yeast to use, I used 1028 before for a porter and it came out with a metallic taste, so I'm sketchey on it.
any thoughts?

I'll echo what Matt said, S-05,Wyeast 1056 or WLP001 are ideal for an American IPA. You could use Notty, but I would go with any of the three above first.:mug:

Cool, I have a packet of us-05 on hand so that will work great then. What are your thoughts about doubling the hops in this recipe? Would it be beneficial?

Munich malt needs to be mashed, does that just mean I keep it at a certian temp fr a certian time? Where can I find a list of grains the must be mashed?

Munich malt needs to be mashed, does that just mean I keep it at a certian temp fr a certian time? Where can I find a list of grains the must be mashed?

http://***********/stories/wizard/a...zard/1132-mashing-or-steeping-a-dme-mr-wizard

Basically, base malts need mashing (holding at 145-158 f) for an hour or so. Enzymes activate and convert the starches to maltose.

You can "steep" specialty grains to extract flavor and color to add to your extract base, but they don't really add fermentables to your wort.

So, yes you can hold your grains in the proper range in a steeping bag and do a "mini mash", then sparge and add to your extract based wort.

Double the hops in the recipe, yes or no?
And what would be a good dry hop addition?

Double the hops in the recipe, yes or no?

No. I would say probably not, although it depends on your process, so more info would help. If you do a full boil and add all your extract in the beginning, or do a partial boil and add half your extract at the end of the boil, you'll end up with over 80 IBUs using this hop schedule, which is very high for your starting gravity. If you add all your extract at the beginning of a partial boil, you'll still get 55-60 IBUs or so from this, which is still probably fine for a relatively low gravity IPA such as this.

BTW, are you using liquid or dry extract? Using 6# of dry, you'll get an OG of 1.058, which is at the low end of IPA gravities. With liquid, you'll be lower, more in APA territory with an OG of 1.050.

Cascades would be a nice dry hop, or maybe even Cascades and Chinook together.

Back