Clearing with Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed numerous times, but I haven't really found the "perffered method" of doing this.

So, I am getting ready to rack to secondary and was hoping someone might be able to give me some input. I was wondering if it would be best to disolve the gelatin in 150 degree water then put in carboy and rack on top, or rack to secondary and then pour the gelatin mixture in. I plan on being in Secondary for about 2 more weeks, so may letting it sit for a week, then doing the gelatin, I don't know.

Any input you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

dissolve approx. 1 scant TBSP (or 2 tsp., either will work) in hot tap water. let sit for 25-45 minutes (25 worked fine for me). heat on stove until it is just about to boil but don't let it boil. let cool for a while (it doesn't have to cool all the way). start to rack. about half way through, add mixture and finish racking. let clear for 3-5 days. this is essentially BierMuncher's method and has worked for many here.

edit: it won't hurt anything to let it sit for a week or two with the gelatin in it. but i have added the gelatin after it's been in secondary for a while and that worked fine also.

I bought some finings from midwest and followed the instructions... Let stand in COLD water for 1 hour, then bring to a boil to dissolve.
I know you guys seem to be dead set against boiling, but it cleared my beer! Perhaps there is a difference between the finings and regular store bought gelatin. I only brought it to a boil for a few seconds (just used the microwave till it started bubbling). Never used regular gelatin though, so I would use the no boil method for that stuff.

I'd put it into secondary by itself first, and see if it doesn't clear up on it's own. As long as it's completely done fermenting before you rack it, most of the time it will clear up just fine without any finings or gelatin. If it doesn't seem to be clearing after 7-10 days, then try adding it.

Back