My Kegerator is dying...please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave73ok

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I bought a used Kenmore 4.6cft mini fridge. I was able to move the freezer shelf/cooling line, popped a faucet on the front, and was using it as a single keg kegerator since with no problems. The other day, I notice it's a bit warmer. I put a thermometer in there, and it reads 48F, no matter if it's the lowest setting, or the highest. Now, for my pale ale, this is fine, but I'm assuming the thing is on its way out? If not, has anyone had this happen? Is it just low on coolant?
If I just move on, what's a good replacement? The Sanyo fridge that everyone used seems to have gone away, and I don't want to have to deal with the freezer thingy again.Thanks.

Dave

The danby 4.4 cf models hold 2 kegs and a 5# tank just fine

Is the other fridge trying to run all the time? maybe the seal is busted?

No, it's running as normal. It just seems to be stuck at this certain temperature. It's been that way for 4 days. At first I thought maybe the coolant was shot, but it seems to be holding that temp. Weird.
I looked into that Danby. That would work.

what do you have against a freezer? condensations a btch but otherwise they hold alot and have the ability to lager in them which is nice.

Well that's the thing! I can get a new freezer, albeit a small half size one...for under $150. Or, there are plenty of used ones to be found. I've seen your keezer, and it's really nice. I think if all else fails, I may look into one of those. OR, buy a full size freezer for food storage (we're talking about going in on bulk beef and pork purchases with friends), and snag the 3/4 freezer I currently use for food and hop storage. ;)
I moved the fridge away from the wall, turned it off and gave it a once over, and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I'ts consistently cooling between 46 and 48, which to be honest is just fine for the pales and IPAs I usually brew....so I have a little time. Lagering is something I'd like to try, so that's another check in favor of a keezer.

The problem seems to have resolved itself by simply moving the fridge away from the wall about 6 inches. Who knew?

I have a Sanyo 4912 "Keggerator Conversion". I have found that my "unit" needs to have some "breathing room" away from the walls that surround it. Without the "breathing room" you will experience your fridge to constantly cycle, only because it takes longer to dissipate the heat from around it. A good 2" clearance from side to side and 4" in the back is needed for good circulation.

From your last post it seems as though you've found the problem. Cheers! Hope it all works out great and you have a great pour!
:mug:

Thanks! Since then, it's been pretty much doing what I need it to do. Of course, thinking that the thing was dying, I went out and started looking at new ones....and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still lackadaisically looking for something newer, and bigger. I can only fit one keg in it, and I really want to get two taps going. Still, it's better than nothing!
On a related note, I live near a large, off campus dorm. When the kids all left, I found a similar black fridge with a sign that said FREE on it. So I got excited and lugged it home. I plugged it in, there was a light and the compressor kicked on and I thought I was good. Wrong. It won't cool. Oh well, nothing lost there. :D

Back