"Steak toaster"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I eat fresh steak or chops for breakfast every morning, and use various methods of cooking it. With steak, I prefer medium rare...... for pork, no more than is necessary. I've come up with an idea that's just a bit off the wall for doing a steak or chop. It consists of two small grills (I'm single and do one at a time), and two hot plate elements, one on either side so the surface gets that nice brown surface, and the grease runs off. The steak is pinched between the two wire grills and hangs there like a piece of toast. The other addition that would make this great would be a smoke source......

Anybody try anything like this??

H.W.

Sounds like a vertical version of a George Forman Grill...

Edit: I'd also like to eat steak and chops every morning...

But I'd probably die because I would wrap everything in bacon. Bacon is good.

Mmmm... Bacon...

Not even remotely like a George Foreman grill. This would use radiant heat, not contact heating. The two wire grills merely hold the meat.

H.W.

Louis' Lunch in New Haven, CT invented this back in 1895. Take a look at their vertical grills.

http://www.louislunch.com/index.php

Looking at the photos, I only see an elaborate antique toaster... I've even considered buying a cheap toaster and modifying it by removing the existing grill and pop up stuff, and making a grill I can drop into the slot with the steak pinched between the two halves. The non-contact radiant heat would do exactly what I want.

H.W.

Looking at the photos, I only see an elaborate antique toaster... I've even considered buying a cheap toaster and modifying it by removing the existing grill and pop up stuff, and making a grill I can drop into the slot with the steak pinched between the two halves. The non-contact radiant heat would do exactly what I want.

H.W.

It sounds almost exactly like your design, except it uses gas flame instead of electric elements.

The meat gets sandwiched in a metal grate holder and slid between two heating flames, vertically, inside a cast iron housing.

I wouldn't call it elaborate, that's just the way things were built back then. Most things had some flair to them.

It sounds almost exactly like your design, except it uses gas flame instead of electric elements.

The meat gets sandwiched in a metal grate holder and slid between two heating flames, vertically, inside a cast iron housing.

I wouldn't call it elaborate, that's just the way things were built back then. Most things had some flair to them.

I didn't see that in the photos.............

H.W.

I looked through the photos again......... I hadn't recognized the vertical grills for what they were at first.......Now I get it.

H.W.

Back