How long to age beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What are some guidelines or rules to follow to determine how long a particular beer should age for best representation? I know experience will tell but that's several years of research while buying several bottles of each brew and tasting them at intervals. I just wondered if there's a general guide to follow.
I have a bottle of Delirium Tremens that I'm going to drink soon that I just bought, but will buy another to age. Also want to buy a few more to age after tasting them initially.

Light colored beers and wheat beers tend not to age well and are best drunk young. Most hoppy beers are the same, because the hop flavor/aroma fades over time. Darker beers and higher-alcohol beers tend to do best at long aging. I'm sure some folks who have more experience will be able to come up with exceptions to this, but from what I understand, this is a good general guide.

My step dad has a bomber of Arrogant bastard that he got as a gag gift (he believes apprx) 10 years ago. It's still in his basement. Past it's prime or Beg him for it?

I think I'll will ask him for it. He won't drink it. I already told him this past weekend we should break it out cause it would be either be GREAT or Horrible! If we open I'll post. Just keep an eye out for the 10 Year Old bastard Thread. :)

Back