Foam problems after a freeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papagoat

Reaction score
Fellow beer peeps,
I need your wisdom and advice. I have a 3 shank tap system in a refrigerator located in my garage. Last week beer stopped flowing and I realized I had frozen beer lines. Further inspection showed I had frozen kegs as well.
I researched here and followed the advice to let the beer thaw completely but slowly. I did so.
I also think the built in thermostat on the fridge was out so I moved my external thermostat from my fermentation freezer to the fridge.
The beer has now been thawed for 3 days. The fridge is a nice 36 degrees.

However, I am blowing straight foam. Like 1/2 inch of beer and 8 inches of foam. I have tried several remedies including reducing psi, lowering temperature, and I've poured several continuous pours with no luck. I can see small airbubbles in the line after numerous long pours. The only tap that is working properly is the root beer tap but it is on separate CO2.

When running properly my system never has foam issues. I keep psi bw 8-10 for force carbonating and dispensing. I run 10' of 3/16 ID line to my taps.

If anyone has a suggestion I would be indebted forever.

Thanks in advance

They were vented when I lowered the psi. Are you saying I should remove the CO2 and vent off?
Thanks

Venting once or twice won't be enough. Disconnect the gas line and vent til the hissing stops every hour or so. This may take a day or two. The soda is fine as it needs 20-30 psi

Back