Double IPA Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
Usually this kit is priced at about $55 but for some reason its at $20 right now.

You get 2x 6lb of extract and 6oz of hops. I personally bought two, nixed the yeast, and am going to just throw something together in the near future!

Wow, thanks. I brew AG, but for that price I had to grab it. Might make a partial mash super high grav out of it.

Wow, don't tell anybody at NB- they'll fix that before I get the OK from SWMBO to buy the kit, use the extract for starters, and keep the hops!

No, it's the 5 gallon kit. No promotions or anything, so it's just a typo- the all grain kit is $45 I believe. They'd be in their rights to cancel all orders and fix the price, but you could definitely try and sneak in an order, especially if you're getting other stuff anyway. Definitely light on hops for a IIPA, though, you're right. Still, the ingredients separately are still worth much more that $20.

I just ordered 2 myself. I'll follow their recipe on one of them but I'll most likely get creative/experimental on the 2nd. Too cheap not to.

So, for those of us that missed out...

Did Northern Brewer honor their $20 price on this kit to those who got their order in before the price change?

Inquiring minds want to know :p

So, for those of us that missed out...

Did Northern Brewer honor their $20 price on this kit to those who got their order in before the price change?

Inquiring minds want to know :p

So far so good. I keep checking my email/bank account expecting something but nothing yet. I only placed my order last night around midnight so we'll see.... The more that I think about it though I don't even want this kit (damn homebrews getting me drunk and convincing me to buy things). Guess I'll use the ingredients for something else.

I ordered two. Order status is 'billed'. We'll see if it ever gets to the status of 'shipped'.

Even if you don't want to brew a DIPA, it's still an excellent package of items that you can break down and brew into other beers. Nice, diverse selection of hops, 12 lbs of pilsen extract and over a pound of grain per kit.

6 ounces of hops for a five gallon batch is plenty. I mean come on folks...some professional brewers use 1LB per barrel.

6 ounces of mixed alpha hops can yield oustanding results. Sometimes too many hops can destroy a beer.

So far so good. I keep checking my email/bank account expecting something but nothing yet. I only placed my order last night around midnight so we'll see.... The more that I think about it though I don't even want this kit (damn homebrews getting me drunk and convincing me to buy things). Guess I'll use the ingredients for something else.

I ordered two. Order status is 'billed'. We'll see if it ever gets to the status of 'shipped'.

Even if you don't want to brew a DIPA, it's still an excellent package of items that you can break down and brew into other beers. Nice, diverse selection of hops, 12 lbs of pilsen extract and over a pound of grain per kit.

Thanks for the replies, hopefully they'll ship soon.

I looked at NB's site and checked the price and couldn't believe it, I guess you snooze you lose. :)

Agreed, too many hops (even late additions) can really make your beer seem thin (can't stand up to the hops). I've been over-hopping my pale ales for years and didn't even know it. Once I backed off, everything came together. Too many hops in an IPA just get muddled.

Still, I think this kit is more west coast IPA speed, rather than IIPA. The gravity's there, but the hops aren't. Is anybody actually going to make this kit as specified, though?

Mine shows billed and my account has been charged but it hasnt shipped yet. It will be outstanding if they honor it but I wont be upset if they dont.

This didn't paste very well but this is the email recite I got from northern brewer. Notice the double IPA Extract Kit: Rate: 50.45, Amount: $20.17. It's been shipped.

Item Quantity Rate Tax Amount
Double IPA Extract Kit 1 50.45 &nbsp 20.17
Brewer's Best Conditioning Tabs 1 5.50 &nbsp 2.20
Subtotal 22.37
Shipping Cost (NB) 8.72
Total Tax (MN_HENNEPIN CO_MINNEAPOLIS_EGED 7.775%) 0.68
Total $31.77

Ditto. Bravo to Northern for just delivering on their mistake and not making a stink about it.

So, that's my next question...

Was it a mistake or a clever way to move some product quick and get some internet buzzz ;)

At any rate good on them for not jacking people around if it was just a typo :rockin:

Who knows what it was but it worked. I got mine a bit ago and haven't heard anything about "repricing".

I just checked and this is what it says.
"Availability: Out of stock - This kit has been discontinued. Please use the provided documentation if you wish to purchase ingredients for it a la carte."

I guess they were trying to get rid of it.

i guess so.

ive decided im going to do one of them as is except im gonna add an oz of oak chips and i picked up california ale yeast from white labs. i think it will come out nice!

oh yea i grabbed a lb of... black patent? i forget. something to make it nice and roasty in the other one

I just brewed mine on Sunday. Added some MO and a little Special B and made it as a partial mash for a big American barleywine. OG was 1.104.

So after receiving this kit I realized I don't really want a big malty IIPA so much. It must have been the homebrew that pushed the order button that night. Anyways, that said, I've decided on a plan of action:

1st: I made two gallons of starter wort with half a bottle of the LME. Turned out just a hair over 1.040 and I pressure canned all of it that wasn't used for a big yeast starter for a Pilsner.
2nd: I'm making a three gallon regular IPA with the remaining 3lbs from the bottle I opened as well as the Cascade, Centennial Type and the Summit.
3rd: I'm thinking that the remaining 6lbs of LME might get dumped into some kind of giant beer that will age until next Christmas. Maybe, we'll see.
4th: The glacier hops might be used for a session beer because I heard somewhere that Surly uses them in their Bitter Brewer.

Seemed like an appropriate course of action. One massive beer kit distributed among many

im still debating if i am going to just make one of the kits per instructions because i am lazy or if i should get off my ass and come up with sometime of my own.

Timely bump. I am making one of the 2 kits I bought today. Making it per instructions.

Interestingly (or not), I'm also making a pale ale tonight and the recipe is roughly half of what's in the DIPA kit (1 lb vs 0.5 lb grain, 6 oz vs 3 oz hops, 12 lbs vs 8 lbs malt). So it looks like I could make 10 gal of a pale ale with this kit. That would be like 20 cents a bottle if I did that. Hmmmmm....

Didn't read the directions until right before brewing so I didn't notice until it was too late to ask about it, but what's the deal with the separate pot for the hops?

Didn't read the directions until right before brewing so I didn't notice until it was too late to ask about it, but what's the deal with the separate pot for the hops?

I honestly didn't look at them because I didn't do it. What do they say separate pot? I wonder if it's just because it's a lot of hops for a extract batch.

did they suggest you boil then in a greater volume of water for better utilization? idk why they would do it otherwise

Here are the instructions.

They say to boil 2.5 gal of water, but I've been doing full boils with extract kits when doing 5 gallons as I have a 10 gal pot, so that's what I did with this kit. Plus I heard it was important for high hopped beers. So I boiled about 6 gal and also did the hop tea pot. Should I have just tossed them in the brew pot since I was doing a full boil? I assume it will still be fine doing what I did right?

It's for hop utilization for a partial boil. You would have been fine adding them to your full boil.

Back