Batch Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpweeks

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been away from my hobby for a while, and am starting back in slow with some extract batches. When i brewed all grain years ago i fly sparged.

Im building a Igloo Cooler HLT and MLT and plan on batch sparging. I am looking to use a pump to sparge. After the first runnings, how do you guys sparge? IS it ok to just pump the sparge water in through the outlet, since you are mixing up the grain bed anyways?

I use the igloo cooler and after i drain my first runnings I just pour my sparge water in the top. Then I stir it up and let it sit 10 minutes. This may not be right but it's simple and I'm hitting about 70 % efficiency which is good enough for me.

I guess i'm confused. What's wrong with opening the lid to sparge. Everything is getting boiled after so no infection? Mash is over so all your doing is basically rinsing the grains. I'm fairly new to all grain myself so (1 year) so if this is bad can someone explain.

Back