not sure if this is a mead question or a cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy711

Reaction score
i also posted this in the cider forum but not really sure who to ask

don't know what the outcome will be but i have a about a half gallon of mead i made 9 months ago and i think it is in a stuck fermentation because the gravity is at 1.48 i tried drinking some of it but it is way to sweet and it gave me instant gut rot. what i am thinking about doing is adding half a gallon of cider and pitching more yeast to see if i can ferment it out kinda turn it into a cyser. is this worth trying and is there any chance this might turn out okay

the starting gravity of the mead was 1.136 and it is currently at 1.48 so it should be somewhere around 11% alc. so i am thinking if i add a high tolerance yeast and let it age forever that it might turn out okay. I even thought about watering down the cider a little to try to keep the amount of sugar down so maybe it will ferment a little dryer

any thought or advise would be helpful thanks.

for stuck fermentations, go with ec-1118 yeast, it's pretty much the best one at restarting stuck meads, in my opinion. i am a huge fan of cyser, so i say go for it.
what i would do though, is take your half gallon of stuck mead, and dump it in 2 gallons or so of apple juice. maybe even 4.5 gallons. that way it won't need to age anywhere near as long and it will be a delicious cyser.
this is probably just my bias against batches smaller than 5 gallons though. it would definetly be easier on the yeast to not pitch into alcohol that is that high.

oh yea sorry its 1.048, i think what i am going to do is add 2.5 gals of cider and a few raisins turn this into a three gallon batch and add the ec-1118, i would do 5 but i already have fifteen gallons going but i cant wait to see how this turns out. i suspect i am going to have to let it age forever but thats cool.

1.048 is still pretty sweet. I would toss in some EC-1118, or maybe K1V-1116 just to convert some more of the honey.

Back