Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dover157

Reaction score
Well for my whoping second batch I decided to do a red ale. Use the recipe from Charlie Papazian's Joy of Home Brewing, with a slight mod to make math easier. Recipe follows

5 gal, extract, 2 gal boil

3.3 lbs amber LME
3 lbs amber DME
1 lb crystal 120
1/2 lb toasted 2 row
1 oz Northern Brewer (9Hbu) 60 min
1 oz Tettnager (4.8Hbu) 1 min
Wyeast 1084 smack pack
Og 1.051

Steeped grains in 1.5 gal @150 for 30 min, sparged with .5 gal @ 160
Added half of the LME and Half of the DME right as boil achived, added Northern brewer at this time. At 10 min left removed from heat and added the rest of the LME and DME. Rturned to boil, added Tettnager with 1 min remaining in boil. Added hot wort to 7 lbs ice in brewing bucket, topped off with water to 5 gal. Areated and pitched yeast at 70* placed in fermentation room at 65* with blow off tube.

One thing I will do diffrently next time is add all the DME at the begining and use the LME at the end of the boil, getting the last 1.5 lb of DME to disolve in water that has that high of a gravity is more trouble than its worth. Im hoping that by using the mix of LME and DME the color wont be to dark. Ill let you know in 2 months how it tastes.:mug:

Just an update, its fermenting along now, damn thing kept me up all night:(. Since my room is the only one with AC, I keep it set at 65 and thats where all the fermentation takes place. FYI a blow off tube in a jar of water makes lots of noise at 0200, its going to be a long day at work lol.

Back