Ginger Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantodd

Reaction score
Yeah I'd like to hear your results. Most "ginger beer" these days is made with ginger oil rather than ginger resulting in a rather harsh (imo) burning sensation when you drink it. If I do it, I would like to make a fully fermented version, which it looks like that article is. I have seen that on the radio show brewing site and it looks cool. In fact, it is very hard to find a 'regular' ginger beer recipe like that from searching. I was thinking of potting some ginger to grow some more root. It would be a fun experiment.

I brewed a high-alcohol winter warmer, and put about 3 oz. of ginger into the boil, along with some other "holiday" spices (cinnamon, cloves, allspice), and 2.5 lbs of honey, which really lightened up the body and helped make it more crisp.

It's not exactly a "ginger beer", but putting that much freshly grated ginger into the boil certainly made it about halfway there. I'm not the biggest fan of straightup ginger beer, though...but this brew turned out to be one of the best I've done.

Back