Did I overpitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbones24

Reaction score
I just brewed my second batch yesterday. It was an extract brew and my OG was 1.064 which was right on my target.

Now, this was a 2.5 gallon batch that I was brewing. I pitched an entire packet of Safale 05. I remember reading that it is better to over pitch than under pitch, but now in doing some searching on here, I see that over pitching can create problems. I guess I did this because my first brew experienced a stalled fermentation and I did not want that to happen again. I realize now that I should have used an online pitch rate calculator.

Can anyone give me advice on whether I did in fact over pitch and if so, what are the consequences?

I pitched a 2L starter into 5 gallons of 1.05 beer. I think this would be classified as overkill but I don't think there are any negative effects

If you're going for a rather clean profile, you'll really have to dump in A LOT of yeast to over pitch. Even 4x won't really hurt you in my experience.

The only way you could over pitch is to add a gallon of thick slurry from a commercial conical.

Even then, from past experience, it will still ferment fine. You'll just find 1/3 or more of your batch on the floor :)

Back