Why Join AHA? Who is a member?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitsua

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what, if any, the benefits are to joining AHA? I know I also get a subscription to Zymurgy for $43 a year. Is it a good magazine?

My LHBS gives a 5% discount to members but I would have to spend $840 to make it worth it.

How many here are members?

I became a member when I registered for the national conference. It's part of the deal. You'll also get discounts at a few pubs around the country but it's not all that great. I like Zymurgy more than BYO as far as a magazine is concerned.

We have a family membership (hubby, me, daughter). Alone with the magazine, discounts, updates and first run at conference tickets, it also help support the "voice" of homebrewers in legislation matters.

I joined for Jamil's book. That and Zymurgy are my only benefits, brewpubs shutting down left and right so the discounts aren't working for me. And I don't bottle, so I don't do competitions.

-OCD

The discounts don't work in Washington state, either. But I'm thinking about joining anyway. Support the cause and all.

the AHA tech e-mails that come out every day are driving me bonkers!

I had to unsubscribe from those.

I let my membership lapse for the AHA. The last few nights Charlie Papazian has been staking out my house and flashing gansta signs every time I take the dog out, so I might renew.

I was always meaning to join, and finally did it when they were giving away copies of Brewing Classic Styles with membership. So far, I'd agree that I like Zymurgy better than BYO. I also like the fact that I'm supporting the voice of homebrewing. The more people join, the stronger that voice can become. There are still states where homebrewing is illegal, so its gotta count for something.

Benefits that I use regularly:

$9 entries to NHC
20% discount at one of my local brewpubs
Zymurgy

I love being part of a organization that tackles the legal issues out there with gusto.

I joined for Jamil's book. That and Zymurgy are my only benefits, brewpubs shutting down left and right so the discounts aren't working for me. And I don't bottle, so I don't do competitions.

-OCD

There are lots of benefits you may not know about. One of the biggest reasons to join is that you support the efforts to keep craft beer available and keep taxes on it down through our lobbying efforts in Washington and in various states. You also support the efforts to legalize homebrewing in all 50 states. One way to think of an AHA membership is not just what YOU get from it, but how you support craft beer and other homebrewers. Another reason to join is the killer new website and discussion forum that will be opening in a few weeks.

BTW, some of you may not know that I'm a member of the AHA Governing Committee, now in my 2nd 3 year term. If you have any questions or issues for the AHA, let me know and I'll try to get them in front of the right people.

I'm a member mainly for Zymurgy. I think it blows BYO out of the water. My BOS winning Sweet Stout recipe came out of Zymurgy.

There are lots of benefits you may not know about. One way to think of an AHA membership is not just what YOU get from it, but how you support craft beer and other homebrewers.

Yeah, I get that too, thanks for your work there Denny. Seemed the OP was more of a "what do I get" type of question.
:off: I also contribute to the NRA for the intangible benefits - I don't actually get anything physical from them but they are working in my best interest.

-OCD

I joined for the great Zymurgy mag, but also to support the collective "voice." As stated previous those of us in WA don't get discounts but the legislative work done by the AHA and it's associates is worth the price of membership alone.

PS...I love tech talk!...it just sucks when you get behind and there are a thousand backlogged e-mails.

You've heard about all those evil lobbies in Washington, DC? I joined AHA for several reasons, but also for the same reason people join unions or the NRA or AARP. Without AHA who knows what sort of legislation may be passed that would hinder our ability to pursue our hobby? The most successful groups organize and lobby to keep our elected officials honest.

Don't rule out the pub discount just because there's nothing around you. The closest to me in the Ellicottville Brewing Co in, uh, Ellicottville NY (about 60-90 minutes away), but when I went to Chicago I was about to get 20% off my entire order at Goose Island, and 10% off my food at Rock Bottom, which probably came close to paying for my membership right there. Then you add in Zymurgy (which I'm behind on) and the knowledge that you're supporting a good cause. Wait til Big Brew Day when they offer you something else (like Brewing Classic Styles) though ;)

AHA sanctions competitions, which helps to keep things organized and semi-objective.

Also:
- Zymurgy
- Brew Pub Discount (there are 2 good brew pubs within 10 miles of me, so this is nice)
- sometimes the LHBS will give a discount
- Other events and rallies.

Yes I am a member.

I joined to add my voice, and of course the bag, which I haven't read in like 15 years. Saw it on B3 Deal of the day and grabbed it. Wish I had gotten a copy of Jamil's book, but what they hey.

There are no brewpubs near me giving discounts, but that's ok. It's still worth the money for the mag and supporting the cause. Did you know that there are people in some states who have to go to bed after drinking Retail Beer?

I've been a member for 16 years; I should have bought a lifetime membership. Support the cause.

Same here, except that I am a life member. Zymurgy is a good magazine (although it is a shadow of what it used to be), and you can't beat the cause.

I'm a life member of CAMRA, too. It's not like a get a whole lot out of that, either, except for newsletters about stuff that happens across The Pond and some warm fuzzies. And, Denny, I also got a REAL membership card, eh? Nudge, nudge. :D

TL

first year member here. I like zymurgy better than BYO, I only have BJs bar and grill for discounts but when I am out of town I try to use it more. Haven't entered any beers into the NHC yet.

I'm a new member. I joined for the mag, to support the brewing network and for GABF and NHC benefits. Boy was I psyched when I found out my new job is down the road from one of the Dogfish Head Alehouses! Pub discount will easily pay for my membership.

\m/

Update: I signed up today for AHA. Thanks for all the feedback.

One of the biggest reasons to join is that you support the efforts to keep craft beer available and keep taxes on it down through our lobbying efforts in Washington and in various states.

Now that I'm a member could I request that some lobbying resources be spent on abolishing TX's archaic prohibition era three-tear system? Or help me cover my moving expenses?

Latest posts

Back