Homegrown (hops) to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkiestbink

Reaction score
hey friends i have homegrown cascade, magnum, and nugget. i would very much like to make an ipa with 100% my hops. my question is,
1. what should i use when?
2. what can i do, if anything to sanitize the hops for dry hopping?

thanks.

2. If you dried the hops at 140F, you don't need to worry about sanitization.

1. If you want to use all three, Magnum for bittering, Nugget for flavor and Cascade for aroma. Nugget and Cascade for dry hopping. On the other hand, you can make great IPAs with all Nugget or all Cascade.

Hops are naturally bacteria free. There's no need to sanitize them.

As for an IPA...how many do you have? Are you using them fresh from the vine or pre-dried and frozen? I'd suggest using your cascades for dryhopping. The nuggets and magnum are higher AAU's, and since you don't know how high, you don't want to get too much. Unless you're one of those people who think there's never "too much" when it comes to hops.

Keep in mind, if you're using fresh from the vine hops, you need about 5-6 times as many as you would use normally. So, normally I dry hop my IPA's with about 2 oz. of cascade (or whatever else I'm feeling into). So, I would dryhop with 10-12oz of fresh hops. I wouldn't suggest using fresh hops though because you'll probably get a very grassy flavor.

Dry them and then use them how you normally would use storebought hops.

i have been picking and drying over the past few weeks. this wasnt something that i was going to brew right away; i just wanted to get started on developing a recipe. i was just worried about sanitation because there were definitely some bugs on the cones and i air dried them. there are enough for a few batches.

excellent recommendations guys. thanks. i just happen to have a food saver. never thought i'd use it.

so the question still stands; how to sanitize. i know that they are supposed to be bacteria free, but i did see some bugs on them. or maybe my ipa will be about 7.4% and dry hopping in secondary will be alright?

When you vacuum pack them and put them in the freezer, the bugs will die. Just sift threw the hops a little before you throw them in your wort.

Back