Freezer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUbrew

Reaction score
I just bought a Kenmore chest freezer in order to start the kegging process. Apparently I didn't look it over too closely because I got it home and noticed there is a wire running into the lid. Does this mean that the lid has coolant lines or is this line just for the light? If the lid does have coolant lines, is there anywhere to find out where they are so I can safely drill it for my tower? The model # is 253.13312101. Thanks

Two lead wire, probably just for the light. To be sure, I'd say unplug, cut the wire, strip it and check it with a volt meter after plugging it back in (making sure the wires aren't touching). I am 99% sure it will have power when the lid is open, and none when you depress the light switch button (lil button that gets depressed when it's closed).

If it doesn't do the above, then I guess it could be a temp probe? That's the only thing else I could think it would be, but I doubt it... unplug n hook her back up to verify functionality... Take apart the top (as stated it's pretty safe to bet it's the power for the light)

I bought a Kenmore about two weeks ago for conversion. Mine is not the exact same model as yours (mine is 253.165XXXXX, the 14.8 cf), but is probably similarly designed. Mine also has a wire going into the lid. I have totally dismantled the lid over the last few evenings - took it off the freezer, took off the plastic interior liner, took out the insulation, took off the handle and lock (I'm building an oak top that wraps over the sides and front, so the handle had to go). The lid is sitting in my basement, an empty sheet metal shell, right now. I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are no coolant lines in my lid. The line ran to the interior light, the light switch, and the little power indicator light that was built into the handle. Obviously, since your model is different, YMMV.

Two lead wire, probably just for the light. To be sure, I'd say unplug, cut the wire, strip it and check it with a volt meter after plugging it back in (making sure the wires aren't touching). I am 99% sure it will have power when the lid is open, and none when you depress the light switch button (lil button that gets depressed when it's closed).

If it doesn't do the above, then I guess it could be a temp probe? That's the only thing else I could think it would be, but I doubt it... unplug n hook her back up to verify functionality... Take apart the top (as stated it's pretty safe to bet it's the power for the light)

Actually, if it's like mine, don't cut the wire... instead, there is a plastic connector in the back where this can be unplugged. You'll have to push in the tab on the connector in order to disconnect it.

I bought a Kenmore about two weeks ago for conversion. Mine is not the exact same model as yours (mine is 253.165XXXXX, the 14.8 cf), but is probably similarly designed. Mine also has a wire going into the lid. I have totally dismantled the lid over the last few evenings - took it off the freezer, took off the plastic interior liner, took out the insulation, took off the handle and lock (I'm building an oak top that wraps over the sides and front, so the handle had to go). The lid is sitting in my basement, an empty sheet metal shell, right now. I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are no coolant lines in my lid. The line ran to the interior light, the light switch, and the little power indicator light that was built into the handle. Obviously, since your model is different, YMMV.

That's good to hear. Taking apart the lid was going to be my next step, but I was not looking forward to it. I'll try unplugging the lid but I'm guessing you're right that there aren't any coils in there. Send some pics my way when you get yours done, I'd love to see it!

Back