Beersmith's beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
I tried the Liberty and Columbus pale ales tonight. Both were very drinkable, of the two I prefered the Columbus for the pronounced hoppiness, and my dad liked the Liberty.

I had hoped to sample all three single hopped pales the same evening but that didnt happen.

Did you use the same amount of each variety of hops in the different batches, or shood for a particular IBU rating?

BTW, Ive had all the commercial beers now. I liked the Moylans IPA the best out of the IPAs. The Hop Rod Rye was good too, I liked getting hop leaves in the glass, and the color is great. All the beers you sent were good, those are the two that stood out.

- magno

I sampled the Belgian Tire today. Head retention and clarity are great, the yeast flavor is a little prominent IMHO.

I also made a Fat Tire clone that was put together by the LHBS in Dallas using Belgian yeast. I think that I got better results when I tried a similar recipe with WLP001 (the #12 beer that I sent you).

- magno

I really liked this one. Pronounced bitterness with a dark color, but not as heavy as a stout. In fact it was a bit darker than I was expecting (not that this is a problem).

I could get into some trouble with this beer.

- magno

On the single hop brews, I shot for a total of about 30 IBU's.. I tried to make them at about 18 IBU's at 60 min, 7 at 30, 3 at 15, 2 at 5 and the equivelant of 1 oz dry hopped for 5 gallons.

The belgian was the first time I had used that yeast, whicch definately has a "Belgian" flavor to it. It's also one of the oldest brews I have, so I may be starting to show signs of age. I think I'll try that beer again but with something clean like White Labs 001.

The american brown did come out darker than I anticapated, but it's still great. It's almost like a porter, except without any roasted flavors. And with the addition of carapils, flaked bbarley, and a higher mash temp, it's nice and creamy. I think I'll call it a chocolate brown.

I drank the last two beers last night.

The chinook pale ale was very drinkable. It has been a while since I tried the other two, but I think I still prefer the Columbus.

The LA Uncommon was just that. I liked it better than Anchor's steam beer, which I just tried for the first time recently.

In summary, the beers were all good. I especially liked the Columbus Pale and the American Brown.

- magno

Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't forgotten about your beers, I've just been gone and been trying to empty everything out of my fridge to fit the kegs. Comming soon...

Back