Bottling a Lager - Will I need to add yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kremlock

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a Maybock that I've made and has lagered for 4 nice long months at 2C. I figure that most of the yeast has fallen out by now so I was wondering if I need to add more yeast when I'll bottle the beer.

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.009
Yeast WLP833

3 weeks in primary, d-rest for 3 days, then 4 months lagering.

If I need to add more yeast, how much and which kind?

I know that applies to ales, but you don't think that the long period in a cold environment (2 celcius) would make most of the yeast drop out?

I know that applies to ales, but you don't think that the long period in a cold environment (2 celcius) would make most of the yeast drop out?

Regardless of whether it's an ale or lager, no matter how much we try there is STILL billions of cells of yeast floating around in out beer, UNLESS we filter it. If you feel you need to, go for it, it won't hurt it either way. I've lagered for as long as you and didn't add it and it carbed fine. But if you want to insure it, then go for it.

Ya this is my first lager so was not sure if there were some differences.

I made an IPA a few months ago that I crash cooled before bottling to get some sediments out of suspencion. It never carbed properly so I always thought that the cold had taken too much of the yeast out. I guess it's some other issue.

I did a Kolsch that I lagered for a couple weeks, I added half a pack of Nottingham to each keg (2) and had great results.

It is a cheap way to do it and takes out the worries.

DPB

I was talking about DPBISME comment about adding yeast before he carbs. So I was wondering if he was adding it for other reasons then carbonation as you'd carb it with co2 in the keg right? Unless people condition in kegs which I've never heard of.

If I have a super clear lager, I often add a bit of yeast at bottling just to ensure quick and complete carbonation.

I boil up my priming sugar in the water, cool it, and then add 1/3 package of dry nottingham yeast (or S05, but I really like nottingham for this). Stir that, and put it in your bottling bucket and then rack the beer into it.

It may not be strictly necessary, but it is one of those "can't hurt, and will probably help" things for me.

I was talking about DPBISME comment about adding yeast before he carbs. So I was wondering if he was adding it for other reasons then carbonation as you'd carb it with co2 in the keg right? Unless people condition in kegs which I've never heard of.

The ONLY reason folks add more yeast is to carb beer, if they think there's a carbing issue. Which usually is only necessarily in instances, - 1) After an extended time in a secondary or lager, which two months, no matter what you might think, hardly qualifies, and 2) In a high gravity beer such as a barleywine, where there is a possibility of the yeast being too tired or sluggish to finish the job in a reasonable amount of time. I've had high gravity beers and ciders take 6 months or more to carb up, which too me is fine, because I know and expect high gravity things to take time, not just to carb but to condition and the flavors to merge.

But adding more yeast will allow it to carb faster and easier.

For my 17.5% abv barleywine that will have aged in various things for three years before bottling including an oak barrel I will be adding champagne yeast along with the priming sugar. Even though it's going to bottle condition and carb for three years, they environment is so inhospitable for yeast, and the yeast in there is so tired it will be a good.

But for normal situations, like you're beer. There simply is no need.

I've bottled beers that sat in primary for 6 or more months and never thought to add yeast, and they carbed just fine.

There's no "aestetic" reason for adding more yeast, because honestly, you will have MORE yeast in your bottles by adding some, than if you bottled with what is in there already, which means more sediment.

After a month or two in primary, which is my average, closer to 2 months, my beer carbs fine and is perfectly clear, with the barest hint of sediment.

As to kegs, yes, some folks do like to naturally carb in kegs....but normally they just add sugar, again, regardless of whether it is kegs or bottles, there really is plenty of yest in there after only 2 months, to do the job.

But like I also said earlier, if you feel the need, then do it....just remember, you're doing it to make you feel better, not that the beer needs it.

And being an Ale yeast it does not matter that you are putting it in a Lager? Is there a benefit to the ale yeast vs lager yeast.

And being an Ale yeast it does not matter that you are putting it in a Lager? Is there a benefit to the ale yeast vs lager yeast.

No, it doesn't matter since the flavor profile of the beer is set already and there is such a tiny amount of fermentation that takes place in the bottles that there is no flavor impact.

You can use lager yeast if you want, but most people carb their beers at room temperatures and ale yeast is perfect for that. Nottingham is a very "clean" ale yeast, especially in the 60s, so it works great for bottle carbing.

I don't want to do anything for myself, I want to do it for the beer.

uh, Ok....

A lot of times the best thing we can do for our beer......is not to do anything. A lot of new brewers think they have to "futz and fiddle" with things. When in reality we usually just have to step away and let the yeast do what they've been doing for millions of years. They're in charge and they are the experts. The usually don't need any help or interference from us.

I lagered for a little over two months and bottled without adding yeast and no issues. I was worried after I researched if I needed it but now I go forward with my lagers knowing its fine

Back