fermenting a little hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOYDBrew

Reaction score
Pitched London ESB a few nights a ago to an imperial IPA recipe.... Noticed it was fermenting above 78.. finally got down to 76-77... I'm worried about the beer not turning out ok

You may have higher level of fusel alcohols and diacetyl, I would keep temps. down as possible until last few days of fermentation. They raise temperature to 70 so yeast can clean by themself (including re-absorption of diacetyl).
Did you tried simple temperature control like swam cooler?

I brew in my garage and don't use a swamp cooler.. I know I should really invest in a fermentation chamber just haven't had the time or the money to do so.... I've read that people put a wet towel around the carboy... I think it might be too late? Today will be the 5th day of fermenting

>>You may have higher level of fusel alcohols and diacetyl, I would keep temps. down as possible until last few days of fermentation. They raise temperature to 70 so yeast can clean by themself (including re-absorption of diacetyl).

I don't think Diacetyl will be a problem, but Acetaldehyde might.
I think the yeast may reabsorb some Acetaldehyde.
You are stuck with any Fusel alcohol.

>>I brew in my garage and don't use a swamp cooler.. I know I should really invest in a fermentation chamber just haven't had the time or the money to do so.... I've read that people put a wet towel around the carboy... I think it might be too late? Today will be the 5th day of fermenting

I made a swamp cooler, inspired by Yoopers
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/lager-yeast-s-uvarum-temperatures-245888/

You wait until these types of coolers are on sale (I got a 110 can for $44 shipped).
Its a @#$%^ inch and a half not deep enough due to the slant of the wheel well housing, so I bought a 8'x2'x1" styrofoam insulation slab, and madea DIY cover that can house a pale. If you use a car boy, all you need to do is make a simple styrofoam cover like Yooper did.
I also use this cooler to hold ice water which I pump throgh my immersion chiller to cool the wort that last 15 degrees in summer.

So general conscensus is that my brew is gonna be hard to drink?

I brew in my garage and don't use a swamp cooler.. I know I should really invest in a fermentation chamber just haven't had the time or the money to do so.... I've read that people put a wet towel around the carboy... I think it might be too late? Today will be the 5th day of fermenting

A wet towel and a swamp cooler won't cut it if you are in a hot humid garage...check craigslist for a free fridge or freezer, and search "ebay temp controller".

BOYDBrew said:
So general conscensus is that my brew is gonna be hard to drink?

It will certainly be chock full of fusel alcohols, which are hot. But you could still drink it it. Just don't go nuts... fusel make for terrible hangovers!

Brulosopher said:
It will certainly be chock full of fusel alcohols, which are hot. But you could still drink it it. Just don't go nuts... fusel make for terrible hangovers!

It will be an imperial so I plan on it giving me a hangover!

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Im just a concerned newb homebrewer... This is my 8th batch of beer and am learning lots as I go.

I've found the the best resource for the yeast temperature is the yeast manufacturer's websites. Both Wyeast and White Labs have tons of information on each strain, and on yeast health.

Here's what Wyeast says about London ESB yeast:

YEAST STRAIN: 1968 | London ESB Ale™
A very good cask conditioned ale strain, this extremely flocculant yeast produces distinctly malty beers. Attenuation levels are typically less than most other yeast strains which results in a slightly sweeter finish. Ales produced with this strain tend to be fruity, increasingly so with higher fermentation temperatures of 70-74°F (21-23° C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. Bright beers are easily achieved within days without any filtration.

Origin:
Flocculation: Very High
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 64-72F, 18-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

It's too late now, but if this was my beer I would have fermented it at 64 degrees for 5 days or so, and then let it rise up to 70 for the diacetyl rest. If you do have diacetyl (and you probably will), make sure you don't rack until that is fixed. You're probably going to have a very "fruity" beer since you fermented quite a bit above the optimum "high" fermentation temperature, and that yeast gets very fruity above 74 degrees. It may be not unpleasant, though, if you like that in a beer.

>>It's too late now, but if this was my beer I would have fermented it at 64 degrees for 5 days or so, and then let it rise up to 70 for the diacetyl rest. If you do have diacetyl (and you probably will), make sure you don't rack until that is fixed.

If you ferment at 64 with Ale yeast, and let it sit at that temperature for a couple of weeks (I typically let my beer ferment for 3 weeks) wont the Diacetyl be reabsorbed? I thought it was more of a problem with Lagers, that are fermenting at 50 or below.

If you ferment at 64 with Ale yeast, and let it sit at that temperature for a couple of weeks (I typically let my beer ferment for 3 weeks) wont the Diacetyl be reabsorbed? I thought it was more of a problem with Lagers, that are fermenting at 50 or below.

No, not necessarily. Some yeast strains are notorious diacetyl producers, even ale yeast, and it's very common to raise the temperature a few degrees at the tail end of fermentation. It's recommended, in fact, for all ales- but especially those with those certain yeast strains.

The diacetyl is generally cleaned up only by active yeast. Once they go dormant, they don't do anything. That's why the temperature is raised while fermentation is still active but slowing- to encourage the yeast to digest the diacetyl and not just fall out.

Its probably gonna be fine. Is it gonna be the best beer ever brewed? No. Drinkable? Yeah. I can promise it will be better than a malt liquor. It might be a little "hot" or "harsh" or "weird" when you give it to your friends but if you are drinking it by yourself I'm sure it will taste ok.

Back