High strength

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
Has anybody tried making fortified beer. In england there was a beer at 15% ABV ideal for winter, obviously consumed in small amounts.

Is there a special yeast and technique. I could just add ethonol but that is not the idea.

Thanx in advance
Terry

Look at Barleywine's and Strong Belgian Abbey ales. I did on at 9.8% that you could boost with DME but you'd have to balance all your hops, etc. You'd also have to age a real long time. There was a thread for a 20%+ beer here but it took a lot of tuning and the intent was to age.

Make a starter with a full batch and maybe step it up. Using multiple strains was a good thought too...I've done a 12% barleywine on Wyeast 1056 and that seemed to push it. Pure O2 to oxygenate if you can. I would use in the realm of 20% sugar and dose that in during the fermentation. Mash for fermentability, say high 140's.

By freeze do you mean lowering the temperature a certain degree or really freeze.
Could you explain so I do not have to experiment too much. I checked out a yeast strain from the local brew shop and was told it would almost take me there.
Anyway thanks for comments. I appreaciate the advice I get from you chaps

Terry

By freeze do you mean lowering the temperature a certain degree or really freeze.
Could you explain so I do not have to experiment too much. I checked out a yeast strain from the local brew shop and was told it would almost take me there.
Anyway thanks for comments. I appreaciate the advice I get from you chaps

Terry

Alcohol freezes at a lower temperature than water. If you freeze you finished beer, you can skim off the ice and are left with a more concentrated beer. Look up the beer style Eisbock.

On Can You Brew It, Jamil and friends did a clone of Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA, which is around 20%. Check out the podcast on the brewing network. They added sugar over the entire ferment to help the yeast stay active. I think its also helpful to use yeast nutrient.

Latest posts

Back